query: research related to the Olympics
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Jul 13 16:45:41 CDT 2008
[ed: for community-organizing related issues related to the Olympics,
please feel free to copy COMM-ORG. For others, please contact Gabriela
at the address below.]
From: "Gabi at IssueLab.org" <gabi at issuelab.org>
Coinciding with the 2008 Beijing Olympics, IssueLab will be focusing its
August CloseUp on research which tackles the critical social issues related
to this global event. http://www.issuelab.org/call_for_research
The Olympics offer us a unique opportunity to connect the work of
researchers and analysts who might normally see their issues as being
unrelated. We are eager to see the work of nonprofits who address issues
such as sports education or performance enhancement alongside the work of
researchers who have studied the ongoing economic impact of the Olympics on
local communities, or China's human rights record.
Our goal is to collect as diverse and deep a set of research on this topic
as possible and to make it easily accessible to a broad audience.
If you are a nonprofit and are doing work, or have done work in the past, on
any issue related to the Olympics please register at IssueLab today. We are
asking that organizations list their research with IssueLab by the last week
in July. http://www.issuelab.org/rc_accounts/start
Please spread the word to any your colleagues or friends who might also have
research to contribute.
Our Olympics CloseUp will include research related to the following five
topics (as in the five rings of IssueLab's CloseUp):
1. The economic impact of the Olympics (local economies, gentrification,
tourism, corruption, etc.)
2. Human rights issues related to the Beijing Olympics or past Olympics
(Tibet, free press, boycotts, etc.)
3. Performance enhancement (steroid use, doping, drug testing, etc.)
4. Special Olympics (disability, inclusion, competitive boundaries, etc.)
5. Health and fitness (sports education, Title 9, etc.)
**** Why List Your Research With IssueLab? *****
IssueLab is a free service to all participating nonprofits. By listing your
research with IssueLab:
* You disseminate your research to a broader audience of journalists,
practitioners, educators, bloggers, librarians, policy makers, and
* You breathe new life into older research while contributing a historical
record on the issues you cover.
* You get your research distributed through our eNewsletter, RSS feeds, and
targeted outreach efforts.
* You can upload as much research as you would like, freely edit your
listings, and track how many people viewed your work.
Register your nonprofit with IssueLab through our simple web-based form. You
will receive an email asking that you verify your registration. Once this is
done, you are ready to list research!
3940 N. Ravenswood Ave., Suite 2E
Chicago, IL 60613
gabi at issuelab.org
IssueLab: bringing nonprofit research into focus
We've got issues. Read all about it in IssueLab eNews!
More information about the Colist