job: organizer, New York, no salary info
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Oct 13 22:41:01 CDT 2007
"Jennifer Flynn" <flynn at nycahn.org>
This is an amazing job to organize a community that doubters say can’t
be organized (yet, such groups flourish in Canada, Europe, the former
Soviet Union, Australia, etc.)
*** Please forward widely ***
JOB OPENING: VOCAL COMMUNITY ORGANIZER
NYCAHN is hiring a Community Organizer for VOCAL (Voices Of Community
Advocates and Leaders), the NYC users union. VOCAL is a union comprised
of drug users, those who identify with drug users, and our allies who
organize for the education, prevention, and treatment of HIV/AIDS and
Hepatitis C. Through strategic advocacy efforts, VOCAL aims to promote
social justice and systemic change for our community.
* Membership recruitment & leadership building: Increase the active
leadership of VOCAL by meeting targeted membership recruitment goals,
especially by recruiting syringe exchange program (SEP) participants.
* Campaign coordination: Work with VOCAL members to develop and
implement advocacy campaigns promoting drug user rights and harm
reduction. Campaign coordination may include research, writing, and
* Training: Conduct a series of one-day advocacy and organizing
trainings for drug users, especially SEP participants.
* Coalitions: Work with VOCAL leaders to increase participation in
various coalitions and establish new organization partnerships.
* Services coordination: Assist in coordinating VOCAL’s weekly Hepatitis
C support groups and other services.
* Supervision: Supervise 2-4 part-time peer organizers.
* Membership meetings: Convene monthly VOCAL membership meetings.
* Administrative: Assist with grant reporting and fundraising.
VOCAL is supported by the NYC AIDS Housing Network (NYCAHN), which will
supervise the Community Organizer and assist in carrying out many of the
responsibilities listed above. NYCAHN is the nation's only membership
organization comprised and led by low-income people living with HIV/AIDS.
NYCAHN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of Color, people living
with HIV/AIDS, LGBT and women are encouraged to apply. People who are
active drug users or who have a history of use are especially encouraged
to apply. We are seeking candidates who are bilingual Spanish and
Salary is commensurate with experience. NYCAHN offers four weeks of
vacation and a 100% employer covered health and dental plan.
Go to www.nycahn.org to learn more about NYCAHN and VOCAL.
Please submit resume, writing samples (not necessary, but helpful),
three references, and cover letter in Microsoft Word or PDF format to
barry at nycahn.org.
Application DEADLINE: Please apply no later than October 19, 2007.
Your Cover Letter should, at a minimum, include answers to the following
1. Why are you interested in this position?
2. Have you had experience in issue advocacy campaigns? If so, what issues?
3. Have you had experience building a membership organization or as an
4. What are your salary expectations?
5. How did you hear about this opening? (Please be specific, telling us
who referred you or what publication or Web site listed the position)
NYC AIDS Housing Network (NYCAHN)
Office: (718) 802-9540 x 10
Cell: (646) 373-3344
Fax: (718) 802-9741
E-mail: barry at nycahn.org
Address: 80A Fourth Avenue / Brooklyn, NY 11217
More information about the Colist