job: organizer, DC
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 13 13:47:57 CST 2006
From: "Anne Sibert" <asibert at communitychange.org>
About the Center for Community Change
The Center for Community Change is a large national non-profit
organization headquartered in Washington, D.C. Its mission is to promote
the development of community organizing as a national force for social
and economic justice. Founded in 1968, it is known for its role in
supporting the national and grassroots coalitions that led to the
creation of the food stamps program, the enactment of the Community
Reinvestment Act, the growth of Community Development Corporations, and
large-scale preservation of low income housing. More recently, the
Center led efforts to secure a refundable child tax credit and restored
food stamp eligibility for thousands of immigrant households. For
further information, please visit our website at www.communitychange.org
Position Description: The Low Wage Worker Organizer will help develop
and coordinate state and local work that brings together grassroots
organizations and allies to advance the interests of low-wage workers,
and help coordinate support to grass-roots groups that are organizing
low-wage workers to build the power and scale of those organizations.
* Work with grass roots organizations with low wage worker
membership to develop local, state, or regional campaigns with either
policy or employer targets.
* Support coordinated local, state, or regional campaigns on
specific issues which bring together grassroots strategies with media,
research and policy tools to achieve maximum impact.
* Help grassroots organizations working on low wage worker issues
to develop strategies for building alliances, partnerships, and
coalitions with other organizations to enhance their power and to
achieve their goals.
* Help grassroots organizations develop and improve strategies to
solidify and expand membership, develop leaders, move toward financial
stability, and work effectively with other grassroots organizations and
* Minimum of five years experience in community organizing and/or
labor organizing and in implementing local, state or national policy
initiatives on low wage work issues.
* Experience in community organizing training including: basic
principles of community organizing, development of leaders and
organizations in an organizing context, issues and campaign development,
training new organizers and leadership development.
* Familiarity with and openness to different approaches to
grassroots organizing and policy work.
* Ability to work democratically and effectively with diverse
groups and people.
* Capacity and willingness to travel extensively.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Strong team player, familiar with team dynamics and willing to
work in a team environment.
* Strong commitment to social justice and social change.
* Strong analytical skills.
* Ability to speak Spanish is preferred.
This position reports to: Senior Fellow
Salary & Benefits: CCC offers a competitive salary and an
excellent benefits package.
Closing Date of Position: February 15, 2006
Submit resume and cover letter with salary expectation to:
Attn: Low Wage Worker Organizer
Center for Community Change
1536 U Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
Fax: 202 387 4892
employment at communitychange.org
More information about the Colist