Faith-based CD

colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu colist-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu
Mon Feb 7 15:46:40 CST 2000

[ed:  Thanks to Deirdre, Karen, Rick, and Alma for their discussions
on faith-based community development.  Other thoughts welcome.]

From: Deirdre Silverman <deirdre at alternatives.org>

I don't know if this takes the discussion too far afield, but you
might want to look at the community development credit union
(CDCU) movement. 40% of CDCUs are faith-based. Harking back to
earlier discussions on this list of how community members are or
are not represented in the governance of CDCs,=  CDCUs are
member-owned, with Boards of Directors generally elected by the
membership. I think that many of the questions listed below would
apply to CDCUs as well as CDCs. A good resource is the National
Federation of Community Development Credit Unions, which has a
Faith-Based Program. Diana Shaw is the Program Officer, and she
can be reached at 800-437-8711, ext 218.

***********************************

From: karen iobst <kiobst at yahoo.com>

Hello everyone, and Miriam from Shelterforce in particular,

   As a graduate student assistant at the U of Pittsburgh, I am
involved in a group called the Regional Coalition of Community
Builders. This past October we had a conference on Faith-Based
Community Building.  The response was terrific, and attendees
represented a wide variety of organizations (youth, churches,
housing,race relations, social justice, etc.)

   Our keynote speaker was Mary Nelson, the founder and President
of a large faith-based CDC in Chicago called Bethel New Life.
She has some great ideas and I would recommend contacting her
directly (phone 773-826-5540.) Her organization does everything
from housing to public safety, workforce development to
enterprise development and environmental protection. She stresses
the need to build strong partnerships, build on neighborhood
capacities, engage residents in planning, use the media to push
for change, and work at the system (rather than project) level to
push for holistic change.  Partnerships with both faith-based and
non faith-based organizations can help in fund development.

  For the conference we compiled a list of some organizations
that fund religious or faith-based organizations.  I would be
happy to fax you a copy.

  Hope this is helpful.

Karen Iobst

*********************************

From: Rick Parkany <rparkany at borg.com>

Miriam: here are a couple of references. One is a vignette
detailing the maturation of a community development strategic
plan focussed upon Community Technology Centers from an
institutional to an action research agenda in an Upstate NYS
rustbelt community. The other is an article that outlines the
foundations for the process cited in my vignette. Fair use and
appropriate citations are all that we recommend for
dissemination...    ;-} rap.

Title: Inspiring utilization of evaluation in community
renaissance, neighborhood revitalization, and other economic
development projects across an action research agenda: "It's the
sustainability, stupid!"

Abstract: This representation is designed as a roundtable
discussion. A discussion will follow the presentation of a work
in progress in the genre of a case study and vignette. The case
study represented is an ongoing formative program evaluation of a
non-traditional, community based, educational curriculum
involving social and economic development issues and dimensions.
It tracks the development and maturation of an action research
agenda conducted within the social milieu of neighborhood
revitalization and community renaissance. The setting is a
typical upstate, rust belt, Small City inner core neighborhood in
New York State.

The representational genre, that of a vignette, will track the
transformation of this research agenda from one characterized
initially by a scientific-technical framework (after Holter and
Schwartz-Barcott, 1993), progressing through a transitional
participatory period (after Cousins and Earle, 1995), to finally
one of a participatory emancipatory action research framework
(after Kemmis and MacTaggart, 1988) along a dimension
representing progressively greater primary stakeholder influence
in aspects of program development including design, installation,
and assessment. The presentation will feature how it was that the
infusion of informational, educational, and evaluative
technologies into a matrix of limited resources helped create a
sustainable economic program of community and family based
educational and self-sustainability plans which involved
neighborhood residents in all aspects of strategic planning,
operation, and maintenance of program development resulting
ultimately in the deinstitutionalization of the design and
evaluation framework.

Available: http://www.borg.com/~rparkany/ARKelly9.html

Reference cited in the above work:

Horton, H.D. (1992). A sociological approach to black community
development: Presentation of the black organizational autonomy
model. Journal of the community development society. 23, 1.

From: ANACTIVIST at aol.com

In a message dated 2/3/00 10:49:46 AM US Mountain Standard Time,