[COMM-ORG] June organizing update from Gamaliel

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 2 11:43:55 CDT 2015

From: Ana Garcia-Ashley <info at gamaliel.org>

Fire of Faith

*Local Hire Here at Last *

Gamaliel, campaign arm Transportation Equity Network (TEN), and other
advocates just celebrated a victory in our long campaign to change the
"common grant" rule that prohibited hiring preferences to local
residents for transportation construction projects that receive federal
funds.

The local hire prohibition has had a disparate impact on women, people
of color and low-income people in our communities by keeping them from
finding work on local transportation construction projects. The federal
government has finally re-thought this with a new draft regulation that
gives the public 30 days to comment on the value of local hire and
proposes a year-long pilot program to explore new ways to make it easier
for states and cities to hire local residents for transportation projects.

Read more  [
http://www.gamaliel.org/News/IntheNews/tabid/244/PostID/393/Local-Hire-Here-At-Last.aspx
] _________________________________________

Gamaliel plans D.C. meetings to push for access to jobs

We're encouraged by the local hire victory. Now leaders plan a trip
Washington to continue our campaign to change other regulations that
will help women and people of color to access jobs on federally funded
projects. [
http://www.gamaliel.org/News/IntheNews/tabid/244/PostID/392/Good-jobs-for-all.aspx
] _________________________________________

Affiliates in the news

The weekend of the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights March through
Selma, Ala., MORE2 co-organized a march with Stand Up Kansas City as
part of a weekend of training and actions. The Kansas City Star covered
the march.  [ http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article12929342.html ]

A columnist for The Tennessean called NOAH Nashville the "hero" of its
mayoral forum after the group's first public meeting. [
http://www.tennessean.com/story/opinion/contributors/2015/03/07/nashville-became-hero-mayoral-forum/24479627/
] _________________________________________

Coming Up

"

Race & Power In America Summit "

"

June 8-13 at the UAW GM Human Resources conference center with lodging
at the Hilton Garden hotel, both in downtown Detroit
"

We've invested in an intense process of strategic discernment looking at
where we wish to lead our communities 20 years and more from now. Join
Gamaliel as we share a new vision that names building racial equity as
the common theme uniting our work for jobs and sustainable
transportation infrastructure, better education opportunities for our
youth, and immigration reform. Learn more and register here.  [
http://www.gamaliel.org/EventsTraining/RaceandPowerinAmericaSummit.aspx ]
 [
http://www.gamaliel.org/EventsTraining/RaceandPowerinAmericaSummit.aspx
] _________________________________________

Leader Spotlight

Father Paul Bossi, pastor at Blessed Sacrament Roman Catholic Church in
Buffalo helped start VOICE-Buffalo years ago. He's excited about the
organization's current work for better public education, growing its
membership, and more. Read More. [
http://www.gamaliel.org/LeaderSpotlight/tabid/326/PostID/390/Meet-Father-Paul-Bossi.aspx
] _________________________________________

What we're reading and writing

The "Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel" published an op ed by Sandy Milligan
and Rev. Willie Brisco Feb. 16, "Wisconsin Should Stop Wasting Money On
Its Correctional System," advocating the state fix prisons instead of
cutting its university. Read it here.  [
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/wisconsin-should-stop-wasting-money-on-its-corrections-system-b99444735z1-292132821.html
]

A regressive gas tax is not the best solution to funding infrastructure
needs, Laura Barrett writes at Rooflines. [
http://www.rooflines.org/4056/neededa_fair_way_to_fund_infrastructure/ ]

Join Us on Facebook

 [ https://www.facebook.com/gamalielnetwork ]

Follow Us on Twitter

 [ https://twitter.com/gamalielnetwork ]

"*Your contribution will make a difference as we work together to secure
a just society for all!*"
 [
https://org2.salsalabs.com/o/6273/c/1574/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=11424
]