[COMM-ORG] Gamaliel Organizing Update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 8 08:30:22 CDT 2014

From:
Ana Garcia-Ashley <info at gamaliel.org>

Fire of Faith

*After Ferguson: The Moment and The Movement*

More than 650 attended MCU's long-planned public meeting last week,
which was widely covered by news media. "We must no longer have
short-term demands without long-term strategies," Rev. Dietra Wise-Baker
of Liberation Christian Church.

Read the whole article here [
http://www.gamaliel.org/News/IntheNews/tabid/244/PostID/353/After-Ferguson-the-moment-and-the-movement.aspx
]. _________________________________________

*
Wisdom Faith Leaders Highlight Wisconsin Parole Abuse in Second Study*

Wisconsin has the highest rate of black male incarceration in the United
States. WISDOM is holding monthly news conferences through October as
part of its ongoing campaign to cut in half the number of people in
prison by 2015.

To read more, click here [
http://www.gamaliel.org/News/IntheNews/tabid/244/PostID/352/Default.aspx ].

*
Meet Irene Habermann*

Irene grew up in Son en Bruggel, Nederland and moved to the United
States when she was 7. Currently, Irene lives in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania. She is involved with Gamaliel's affiliate, Pittsburgh
Interfaith Impact Network (PIIN). Irene is a staff member with PIIN and
former National Education Chair with Gamaliel.

Read more about Irene here

  [
http://www.gamaliel.org/LeaderSpotlight/tabid/326/PostID/348/Meet-Irene-Habermann.aspx
]

**

*
Help us get ready for Giving Tuesday*

Last year Gamaliel raised nearly $6,000 on Giving Tuesday. We hope
you'll help us raise that and more this December 2 in support of our
leadership development and training work. Watch for more details soon!

*Coming Up on Gamaliel's Calendar...*

"Ntosake"

When: September 25 - 27, 2014

Where: Stella Niagara, NY

Register here [
http://www.gamaliel.org/EventsTraining/TrainingNTOSAKE2014.aspx ]

Ntosake is a woman-only event, led by women creating a secure, creative
environment that allows women the time and space to learn the essential
tools of change. _________________________________________

*Last word*

Longtime St. Louis resident and Campaigns Director Laura Barrett wrote
in Shelterforce's Rooflines blog that the roots of Fergusonrun deep.
Read it here [
http://www.gamaliel.org/News/IntheNews/tabid/244/PostID/349/The-Roots-of-Ferguson.aspx

Join Us on Facebook  [ https://www.facebook.com/gamalielnetwork ] Follow
Us on Twitter  [ https://twitter.com/gamalielnetwork ]

"*Your contribution will make a difference as we work together to secure
a just society for all!*"
  [
https://org2.salsalabs.com/o/6273/c/1574/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=11424
]