[COMM-ORG] Introduction and a Plea

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 2 08:04:18 CDT 2014

From:
Jeff Miller <jmiller at utica.edu>

Hello everyone!

I've just recently joined the discussion list and wanted to introduce
myself briefly (and also ask for your help).

I'm an Associate Professor of Communication at Utica College where I
teach courses in public speaking, journalism/media criticism, and
communication & civic engagement (read: organizing). I also have
experience in community, labor, and political organizing. I even ran for
Congress in NY's 24th district back in 2004 and earned 85,000+ votes
against a 22-year incumbent.

My current research, over the past few years, involves reconstructing
the history of Syracuse University's Community Action Training Center
(1964-66), recipient of the very first grant from OEO in LBJ's War on
Poverty. The CATC was a controversial Training, Research & Demonstration
project created and directed by Dr. Warren Haggstrom with Fred Ross, Sr.
serving as Training Director and Saul Alinsky as paid consultant. Theirs
is a fascinating part of organizing history (and the life stories of
Haggstrom, Ross, and Alinsky), but one that has been almost completely
forgotten or surrounded by myth and rumor. My plans are to have a book
manuscript ready for publication by the end of 2015.

To do so, I could use your help. I have launched an Indiegogo campaign
in hopes of crowd-sourcing the funds necessary for me to visit the Fred
Ross Papers held in the archives of the library at Stanford University.
I am confident that I will receive a small research travel grant from my
institution, but it will cover only the cost of RT airfare or lodgings,
but not both, and not the cost of photocopying documents in the Ross
Papers related to the CATC.

You can help in a few ways. My campaign website can be found at:

http://igg.me/at/CATC

There you can learn more about my project and, if you wish, donate or
spread the word of my campaign via Indiegogo or other forms of social
media. I would sincerely appreciate any and all help that you can offer.
I am eager to dive into Stanford's archives and it would be wonderful to
think that my colleagues helped me to get there!

I'm looking forward to future discussion on the list and getting to know
you all, and I hope that my plea is not too forward for a newbie!

Thanks everyone...

Jeff Miller

--
“To show something as everyone else sees it is to have accomplished
nothing.” V.I. Pudovkin