[COMM-ORG] Fundraising: Big Ideas in Small Bytes from PTP

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 12 10:22:47 CST 2014

[ed: note that footnotes in this message refer to links further down.]

From: "Progressive Technology Project" <info at progressivetech.org>

FUNDRAISING SUCCESS STORIES FROM COMMUNITY ORGANIZERS

Take Action: [1]
The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance [2]

SOMETIMES IT TAKES AN ORGANIZER’S MINDSET TO INJECT NEW LIFE INTO
YEAR-END FUNDRAISING.

This issue has success stories about two different fundraising campaigns
from organizing groups in Los Angeles and Iowa. These campaigns were of
short duration -- fifteen days and one week -- respectively. They featured
a specific target amount tied with a theme and frequent update
communications distributed via email, social media and web site updates.
LESSONS LEARNED: PLAN COMMUNICATIONS, ENGAGE YOUR WHOLE TEAM, AND HAVE GOOD
DATA.

TAKING ON THE CITY: FUNDRAISING IN A LARGE URBAN AREA

It's a cardinal rule of organizing to raise funds from the base membership.
Labor Community Strategy Center (LCSC) observes that rule -- its members
pay dues to support the organizing, but bus riding low wage workers and
high school students don't have enough money to fund a large organizing
campaign taking on the powers that be in a city the size of Los Angeles.
Allies and other supporters are willing contribute to campaigns, but it's
not so easy to get them involved. LCSC staff came to PTP with a plan. [read
more [3]]

FOUND THE NEEDLE UNDER THE HAYSTACK: FUNDRAISING IN THE MIDWEST

Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (Iowa CCI) is a long time statewide
organization that uses a community organizing model to move issues ranging
from protecting clean water from factory farms to just immigration reform.
Iowa CCI has a robust individual donor program, but they were looking to
try something new to stimulate interest from new donors and excite long
time supporters. Having heard about a sprint style campaign from PTP's
PowerBase Fundraising Pilot Project, they grabbed the concept and did it in
their own style. [read more [4]]
-------------------------

THE DAY WE FIGHT BACK AGAINST MASS SURVEILLANCE

A broad coalition of activist groups, companies, and online platforms is
holding a worldwide day of activism in opposition to the NSA's mass spying
regime on February 11th. Help us by taking action now and sending a message
to your elected representatives. [read more [1]]
-------------------------

Progressive Technology Project
Strengthening Organizing with Kick-Ass Trainings and Effective Technology

Upcoming [5] at PTP

[6] [7] [8]

The PTP Newsletter highlights success stories from the field of
organizing. We are sending it to you as part of our mission of promoting
powerful organizing and we believe you may be interested in hearing about
that. If you wish to no longer receive it, you may unsubscribe [9] or opt
out [10] of all future PTP mailings.
PTP
PO Box 303190
Austin, TX 78703