[COMM-ORG] PICO who do you love campaign

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 12 10:19:55 CST 2014

From:
"Rev. Michael-Ray Mathews, PICO National Network" <news at piconetwork.org>

"For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for
your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope." –
Jeremiah 29:11 (NRSV)

[
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=13424
]

Dear Friend,

One of our most fundamental PICO principles is to regularly ask
ourselves, "who do we love?"

I am a child of a Great Migration of African Americans from the South to
places north and west. My family's story is one of seeking – constantly
moving, trying to find good communities – good soil in which to grow.
Amid our stories of triumph and success, are episodes of disappointment
and loss. Losing my brother this past fall was a painful reminder of the
challenge for many men in my family and community to find fertile ground
in which they can thrive.

My son, Kenan, a high school junior, is beginning to look at colleges –
some of which are back in the South. While my son is a young man in the
21st century and much has changed, I'm deeply aware that he will still
face the impact of our country's ongoing recovery from racial injustice.
And I pray that he not wind up in a community – north, south, east or
west – that does not see him for all of who he is – a community not
intentional about dismantling implicit bias and racial oppression.

So this Valentines Day I'm reminded it is for the love of my son that I
labor every day to cultivate justice and opportunity for all God's
children.

For most of us, it's the people and communities that we love that keep
us in this work. As we head into Valentines Day, let's pause to reflect
on the ones we love and the reasons we are in the struggle together.

Who do you love? Send us a photo today: share with the PICO community
who you love and what you are fighting for. [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=13424
]

We have a bold agenda in 2014 – that all people may be seen and heard –
that all God's children live in communities of opportunity, with futures
filled with hope. To accomplish this, we have some big work ahead of us.
But we do not do it alone.

Help us remind ourselves and our elected officials who we love and the
reasons why we are fighting for change this year. With the photos you
submit, we will be creating a photo installation at PICO's 2014
Convocation happening at the end of the month.

[ mailto:news at piconetwork.org?subject=This%20is%20who%20I%20love! ]

So send us your photo to tell us who you love, between now and February
18, and we will include it in an installation, displayed to inform and
inspire PICO network directors, clergy and board chairs as they gather
to set our course for 2014. [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=13424
]

http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=13424
[
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/content?content_item_KEY=13424
]

We will also post your images online for our entire PICO community to be
encouraged and inspired by.

So tell us, who do you love?

Michael-Ray

Rev. Michael-Ray Mathews
Director of Clergy Organizing
PICO National Network

PICO National Network, 110 Maryland Ave NE, Washington, 20002
Copyright 2014 PICO All Rights Reserved.

PICO (People Improving Communities through Organizing) National Network
is the largest grassroots, faith-based organizing network in the United
States. PICO works with 1,000 religious congregations in more than 200
cities and towns through its 60 local and state federations. PICO and
its federations are non-partisan and do not endorse or support
candidates for office. PICO urges people of faith to consult their faith
traditions for guidance on specific policies and legislation. Learn more
at [ http://www.piconetwork.org ].