[COMM-ORG] Met Council Update: Landlords Cancel Event "in Fear of Tenants"

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 12 10:18:16 CST 2014

[ed: good organizing stories in this one.]

From: "Met Council Update" <active at metcouncilonhousing.org>

*In This Update: Tenants Shutdown Landlord Event <#Anchor1>*
*Tenants Rally in Great Neck <#Anchor4> | **2014 RGB Rent Freeze <#Anchor2>
Mayor de Blasio's Housing Appointments <#Anchor3>*

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22907&qid=61386><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22908&qid=61386><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22909&qid=61386>

*TENANTS SHUTDOWN LANDLORD EVENT*

Amid rumors that nearly 200 angry tenants planned to disrupt the first
annual
*Landlord Symposium*, the Barclays Center decided not to host the event
for fear
of "bad publicity."
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23115&qid=156982>

Met Council was planning a protest with the Fifth Avenue Committee, Make
the
Road New York, Families United for Racial and Economic Equality, Pratt Area
Community Council, Picture the Homeless, Housing Conservation
Coordinators, and
VOCAL-NY. Once plans of the protest became public, LandlordsNY was told
they
would have to find another venue.

This shows that people are starting to take the tenant movement
seriously again.

<https://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22910&qid=61386>

*Tune in tonight
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22910&qid=61386>
hear our host Scott Sommer cover issues important to tenants. Follow him on
Twitter HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22911&qid=61386>
for
updates*

We're just getting warmed up. Met Council is coordinating a city-wide
coalition
to end the homelessness crisis and win more affordable housing. At a recent
planning meeting organized by Met Council, representatives of more than 50
organizations attended and pledged allegiance to revive the New York
City tenant
movement. The coalition plans to hold a launch event soon.

Our former mayor plunged us into the city’s worst housing crisis with a
record
number of people sleeping in shelters and paying unsustainable rent burdens.

*What we do in the near future will determine whether you have to be a
millionaire to live in New York City.*

Mayor deBlasio has promised a departure from Bloomberg's failed housing
policies, but you can be sure that real estate moguls and landlords will do
their best to stop him.

If you or your organization are interested in joining the coalition,
contact us
at Jaron at metcouncilonhousing.org.

*TENANTS RALLY IN GREAT NECK ***

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23123&qid=156982>

Rent stabilized tenants in Suffolk County rallied on Sunday to save
their homes.

The predominately black and Hispanic residents of the working class
enclave have
fought for decades to keep their rent stabilized homes. The landlords
filed a
petition in Great Neck to demolish the building and replace it with luxury
condos in 2007.

These tenants aren't out of the woods. Real Rent Reformed helped organize a
rally that garnered press attention from Newsday
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23124&qid=156982>
and
News12 Long Island
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23125&qid=156982>:

Tenants of an apartment complex in Great Neck rallied today with hopes of
holding onto their homes in the face of eviction.

Tenants of Academy Gardens, which has 40 rent-stabilized units, say the
building's owner is looking to tear it down and replace it with condo units.
Some of the tenants have called their apartments home for decades.

*IS 2014 THE YEAR TENANTS WIN RENT FREEZE? ***

When Bill de Blasio called for a rent freeze, some balked at the idea. At
that time, most pundits felt de Blasio's only chance at becoming mayor
was to
force a run-off in the Democratic primary.

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23116&qid=156982>

*Tune in Wednesday at 6pm
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22910&qid=61386>
for Met
Council's new TV show. This week, Michael McKee will rundown the latest
events affecting our movement.*

*WATCH THE SHOW HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23117&qid=156982>*

After winning the election in impressive fashion, Mayor Bill de Blasio has
reiterated his call for a rent freeze.

But we all know that even the most sympathetic elected official - much
like Franklin D. Roosevelt - need to be reminded of how much his
constituents
care about certain issues. "I agree with you, I want to do it," he once
told a
group of reformers. "Now go out there and make me do it."

Join a broad push from the tenant movement to make sure Mayor de Blasio
/does
it/ - sign the petition for a rent freeze
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23118&qid=156982>

for the nearly 2.5 million New Yorkers living in rent stabilized apartments.

And if you haven't already, sign up to get email alerts from the Real Rent
Reform campaign
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23119&qid=156982>.

We're organizing a large demonstration for the *first *Rent Guidelines
Board
hearing on March 27th.

*BILL DE BLASIO'S HOUSING APPOINTMENTS*

**

Mayor de Blasio has named heads of the New York City Housing Authority, the
Housing and Preservation Department, and the NYC Planning Commission.

Shola Olatoye (top left) is now the NYCHA chair, and was an HSBC Bank vice
president. She most recently held the same position at Enterprise Community
Partners, a non-profit affordable housing organization.

Vicki Been (bottom left) has been named HPD commissioner. Before the
appointment, she was the director of the Furman Center for Real Estate
and Urban
Planning. She also has experience as a professor at NYU's Law School,
and has a
history of promoting environmental justice, studying the relationship
between
people of color, low-income tenants, and industrial pollution.

Carl Weisbrod (bottom right) now heads the Planning Department. While he
was a
lawyer who fought on behalf of squatters in the 1970s, Weisbrod was most
recently employed by HR&A Advisors who planned the High Line project and
the
Brooklyn Bridge park. The High Line project has been slammed by many tenant
advocates for not creating enough affordable housing. Weisbrod's firm
has also
backed AirBnB, an organization pushing for law changes that could have
adverse
effects on the city's rent regulation system.

*MET COUNCIL IN THE NEWS*

"Ratner Cancels Real Estate Event Over Protest Fears" -NY Post
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23115&qid=156982>

"City Sees Spike in Tenant Heat Complaints" - NY World
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23120&qid=156982>

"Schiederman Gets Some Backing In Fight with Gov Cuomo" - NY Daily News
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23121&qid=156982>

"Rhetoric at Innaguration Resonated with Most Voters" - NY Times (by Jaron
Benjamin)
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23122&qid=156982>

/The Met Council on Housing is dedicated to fighting for
safe, stable, affordable housing for more than 50 years.
Visit us on the web at www.metcouncilonhousing.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6217&qid=39313>/

/Click here to stop receiving our emails.
<http://met.server278.com/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=301&qid=156982&h=da93e4d1e4283b0e>
/

/339 Lafayette Street #301
New York, NY 10012