[COMM-ORG] job: senior organizer, Brooklyn NYC, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:48:15 CST 2014

From: Valery Jean <valery at furee.org>

FAMILIES UNITED FOR RACIAL & ECONOMIC EQUALITY (FUREE)

JOB OPENING: SENIOR COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

FUREE is looking for an experienced, senior-level community organizer
with a solid background in organizing in low income and working class
communities of color and a demonstrated capacity to build grassroots
leadership. We are looking for a bold, dedicated, passionate,
experienced person who is looking to learn and grow as an organizer and
leader, and who is looking for the opportunity to work in a growing
organization of local and national prominence doing cutting edge racial,
gender and economic justice organizing. Our campaigns include organizing
against gentrification and for community-led accountable development,
building the power of young people of color to organize sustainable
youth employment, and a civic engagement project in low-income and
working class communities of color.

Who we are: FUREE is a multi-racial, women-led membership organization
in Brooklyn, New York. FUREE is organizing to build a strong base of
low-income women of color to build power to change the system so that
all peoples’ work is valued and everyone has the right to exit and
remain out of poverty. Our guiding principle is that the people who are
directly impacted by the policies we are seeking to change should lead
the organization.

Summary of Responsibilities: The Senior Organizer’s main job is to 1)
build FUREE’s base and membership and build strong relationships with
FUREE members and leaders through systematic outreach and follow up; 2)
to develop our members’ leadership skills and consciousness through
systematic (formal) work and informal relationships, and; 3) to engage
the leadership of our members in winning campaigns to achieve concrete
improvements in our communities while directly addressing structural
racism, sexism and classism.

Responsibilities:

1) Building a Strong Base of Members: The Senior Organizer will recruit
members utilizing various methods, maintain recruitment and contact
records, assess potential members and meet turn out goals to meetings,
actions and other organizational activities.

2) Developing the Skills, Leadership and Consciousness of our Members:
FUREE believes that those who are directly impacted by negative public
policy and practices should lead the organization and given training and
support in order to lead social change work in the communities we serve.
The Senior Organizer will identify potential and emerging leaders from
our membership, create individual leadership development plans with
current and emerging leaders that will build their political framework
and community organizing skills including participation in political and
community organizing education. The Senior Organizer will encourage
participation and building organizational ownership amongst members.

3) Campaign Strategy, Research and Development: Build strong, active
campaign committees to scale and scope including working with members to
lead community mobilization efforts, campaign strategy and research and
co-facilitating quarterly power-mapping with leaders to evaluate
campaign progress. The Senior Organizer will also be responsible for
organizing media work on the campaign including training members on
framing, messaging and obtaining media coverage.

4) Strategic Ally Work: Strengthen current and introduce new
collaborations with ally organizations and individuals to increase our
ability to build power for our members and to build a broader racial,
gender and economic justice movement.

5) Political Education: Work with FUREE staff and leaders to build and
integrate a deeper political vision into our on-the-ground organizing
and to educate members, leaders and community residents about the
political context of FUREE’s campaigns.

6) Organizational Sustainability: Collaborate with staff and members on
organizational activities, events, and meetings; recruiting campaign
members to contribute to organizational communications including
website, social networking applications and video; collaborate with
members to build a broader social justice vision and theory of change;
engage in grassroots fundraising activities including recruiting
campaign members to lead grassroots fundraising efforts; preparing
periodic reports of activities and consistently utilizing political,
professional and personal development opportunities provided by FUREE.

Desired Qualifications:

· 4 or more years of strong community and/or labor organizing
experience, preferably with low-income communities and a demonstrated
capacity to effectively carry out the above responsibilities

· 2 or more years of strong experience of leadership development and
political education training facilitation

· 2 or more years of supervisory experience

· A well developed personal framework/theory of social change and a
strong commitment to racial and economic justice as well as to FUREE's
mission

· Demonstrated knowledge of Brooklyn or New York City’s political,
social and economic climate

· Demonstrated knowledge of accountable development organizing frameworks

· Ability to communicate, motivate and listen to people from all walks
of life

· Experience with grant writing, reporting and grassroots fundraising

· Strong writing skills including messaging and framing for various
audiences

· Ability to work evenings/weekends as necessary

· Computer literate particularly Microsoft Office and data basing
applications

· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred but not required

Women of color, immigrants, differently-abled, and people of color from
low-income neighborhoods in Fort Greene, the borough of Brooklyn or
other NYC communities are strongly encouraged to apply. FUREE is a
positive and inclusive women-led, supportive work environment.

This is a full time position with a competitive salary, health and
dental benefits. Great opportunities for growth, development and
leadership.

To respond: Send resume, cover letter, salary history and 1 personal and
3 professional references to info at furee.org or mail to 388 Atlantic
Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11217. Please type “Senior Organizer Search” in the
subject heading. In your cover letter, specify why you are interested in
this particular job with FUREE.

We will respond ONLY to eligible applicants. Please do not call to
inquire about application status.

Deadline to apply: February 15, 2014
Valery Jean
Executive Director
Families United for Racial & Economic Equality (FUREE)
388 Atlantic Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11217