[COMM-ORG] College Students Needed for Spring Break Workers Justice Project

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 1 15:18:14 CST 2014

From: Angie Fa <afa at nationalnursesunited.org>

Interview Poultry Workers During Spring Break

Bring Change to Conditions That Have No Place in the US

200,000 workers in chicken processing factories do some of the hardest
and most dangerous work in the U.S. Concentrated in the South, the
industry has aggressively recruited immigrant and refugee workers and
wages, working conditions, and workers' rights have gone from bad to worse.

Volunteers will interview workers from chicken factories as part of the
Northwest Arkansas Workers' Justice Center's state-wide survey. Our
outreach will help expand the center's reach to more factories. We will
investigate the level and type of violations of wage and hour, minimum
wage, health and safety, discrimination, and sexual harassment laws. The
Workers' Center will also use the data to demand stronger enforcement,
increased inspections, and possible legislative action.

Volunteers will have housing, food, training, and plenty of fascinating,
urgent, meaningful work. You'll be amazed at how much we can accomplish
on a shoe-string!

If you speak Spanish, Haitian, or Marshallese, we really need you!
(Volunteers are also needed to interview English-speakers.)

Please contact ajanks at iwj.org<mailto:ajanks at iwj.org> for more
information about participating in the Poultry Worker Spring Break Project.

5 minute video by workers talking about treatment in chicken plants:
http://youtu.be/2r2MKsuEGgM<https://mail.iwj.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=64212899b7184434b0237645ca990347&URL=http%3a%2f%2fyoutu.be%2f2r2MKsuEGgM>

Visit the Northwest Arkansas Workers' Justice Center site:
http://www.nwawjc.org/