[COMM-ORG] Met Council on Housing update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Feb 1 15:16:08 CST 2014

From: "Met Council Update" <active at metcouncilonhousing.org>

*In This Update: Citywide Housing Meeting <#Anchor1>
Real Rent Reform Meeting *TONIGHT* <#Anchor2> | Met Council is Hiring
<#Anchor3>*

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22907&qid=61386><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22908&qid=61386><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22909&qid=61386>

*CITYWIDE HOUSING MEETING WEDNESDAY*

Everybody knows how bad the Bloomberg years were for our communities.
Despite
building "affordable housing," our former mayor plunged us into the
city’s worst
housing crisis with a record number of people sleeping in shelters and
paying
unsustainable rent burdens.

*What we do in the near future will determine whether you have to be a
millionaire to live in New York City.*

Mayor deBlasio has promised a departure from Bloomberg's failed housing
policies, but you can be sure that real estate moguls and landlords will do
their best to stop him.

Let's capitalize on the progressive moment and rebuild the tenant
movement to
preserve affordable housing, responsibly build new affordable housing,
and house
the homeless.

Organizations are invited to a meeting hosted by Community Voices Heard,
Make
the Road NY, Met Council on Housing, NY Communities for Change, and
VOCAL-NY.

*WHAT:* Citywide Housing Meeting
*WHEN:* Wednesday, January 29, 11am-1pm
*WHERE:* 25 W 18th Street, Manhattan (32BJ Board Room, 5th Fl)
*MORE INFO:* Contact jaron at metcouncilonhousing.org

*R3 MEETING TONIGHT @ 593 COLUMBUS AVE ***

**
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23108&qid=150156>

This year, Rent Guidelines Board season starts early.

Our special guests for the first Real Rent Reform meeting of 2014 will be
*Adriene Holder* and *Harvey Epstein*, former and current tenant members
of the
Rent Guidelines Board, who will discuss the city-wide strategy for the
upcoming
fight for a citywide rent freeze.

<https://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22910&qid=61386>

*Tune in tonight
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22910&qid=61386>
hear about the Campaign for Home Rule and follow our host, Scott Sommer, on
Twitter HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=22911&qid=61386>*

Mayor Bill de Blasio has the immediate opportunity to appoint two “public”
members of the RGB, including the chair. He will also be able to replace
the
remaining three public members sometime in the coming year

The five public members can be the board's majority, and the mayor must
choose
fair-minded individuals instead of the Wall St. types we have seen
during the
last 20 years.

There's lots of work to do. Join us tonight and take steps to get a rent
freeze
in 2014!

*WHAT:* R3 Membership Meeting
*WHEN:* Monday, January 27, 7-9pm
*WHERE:* Goddard-Riverside, 593 Columbus Ave (West 88th St.)
*MORE INFO:* Contact jaron at realrentreform.org

*MET COUNCIL IS HIRING*

**

The Met Council on Housing is a membership organization that fights for
safe,
stable, and affordable housing in New York City. The organization is
hiring a
community organizer to followup with service recipients, start tenants'
associations, and coordinate ongoing Real Rent Reform and Home Rule
campaigns.
Working closely with the executive director, the organizer will be
responsible
for building and expanding a base of tenant members and leaders.

Fluency in Spanish is recommended, but not required. Salary will be
commensurate
with experience. Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to
jaron at metcouncilonhousing.org.

*MET COUNCIL IN THE NEWS*

"Coalition Backs Efforts to Keep Families in Homes" - NY Daily News
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23109&qid=150156>

"Rhetoric that Resonated with Most Voters" (by Jaron Benjamin) - NY Times
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23110&qid=150156>

"Luxury Developers find ‘Affordable’ Way to Dodge Property Taxes" - NY Post
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23111&qid=150156>

"Strengthen Rent Regulations" (by Jaron Benjamin) - NY Times
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23112&qid=150156>

"The Real Reason the Rent's Too High" (by Jaron Benjamin) - NY Daily News
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23113&qid=150156>

/The Met Council on Housing is dedicated to fighting for
safe, stable, affordable housing for more than 50 years.
Visit us on the web at www.metcouncilonhousing.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6217&qid=39313>/

/

/339 Lafayette Street #301