[COMM-ORG] Join Us in Welcoming Immigrant Children to Virginia

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 28 13:15:20 CDT 2014

From: Jon Liss & Tram Nguyen <info at virginianewmajority.org>

Supporter,

UNACCOMPANIED IMMIGRANT CHILDREN BACK TO SCHOOL EVENT AND COOKOUT*

When:     Thursday, August 28th: 6 pm to 8pm
Where:    The Community Center - 3801 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA
22305

Join Us in Welcoming Local Unaccompanied Immigrant Children in Northern
Virginia!*

In recent months over 30,000 children from Central America have fled
dangerous and life-threatening conditions in their home communities to
end up detained by the U.S. government. Over 5000 of these children have
been released to family members and sponsors living in Alexandria,
Arlington and the metro D.C. area. They will reside with family as they
await hearings to determine their immigration status.

In many places they have been met with hostility, let's show the right
way to welcome children to our communities!

Slated to attend are Alexandria Mayor William Euille & Vice-Mayor
Allison Silberberg, Delegate Alphonso Lopez, State Senator Adam Ebbin,
Arlington County Public Schools Board Vice-Chair Dr. Emma
Violand-Sánchez, and several Councilmembers as well as Arlington County
Board Member Walter Tejada and our own Jon Liss of Tenants and Workers
United (TWU) and Virginia New Majority.

We Need Volunteers -- Please Bring!
* Food
* School supplies
* Backpacks

If unable to make it to the event, please donate to our work [
https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50015/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=7156
]

Forward Together!