[COMM-ORG] virtual faith summit and commission

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 28 13:14:04 CDT 2014

From: "Pastor Michael McBride, PICO" <mmcbride at piconetwork.org>

Dear Friend,

With pain and unrest in Ferguson, gridlock on immigration reform, and
historic inequality of wealth in America, it has never been clearer that
in our democracy some voices are being heard and others are not. In our
temptation to despair we remember the words of David in Psalm 28:2,
""Hear my cry for mercy, as I call to you for help, as I lift up my
hands toward your most holy place.""

*Next Thursday, September 4th, we will cry out and lift our hands
together in a virtual faith summit and commission. We will share
testimony of the pain our families face, but also the courage with which
we are declaring that our voices will be heard in our democracy this
fall. Will you join us?* [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9543
]

We know that the way things are is not the way they should be. In my
faith tradition, the Christian tradition, God promises us that we may
have life and have it abundantly. As I've been in Ferguson, Missouri the
last few weeks looking into the eyes of young black men Michael Brown's
age who just want to stay alive, I am reminded that what calls us
together across race and faith in PICO is a shared belief that every
single child of God deserves to live a life abundant with dignity and
respect.

This fall we are launching an unprecedented voter engagement program in
PICO founded on that belief. It is led by African-American and Latino
clergy and families, who are joined by people of faith from all
backgrounds in America.

On September 4th we will raise our voices and our hands, and we will
covenant together to reach out to over 1 million people this fall who
might not otherwise vote. In each and every conversation with a voter we
will say "You matter to us. Your voice matters. Your vote matters. Let
My People VOTE!"

*Will you join us as we kick off Let My People Vote with a virtual faith
summit and commission, next Thursday, September 4th, at 8PM Eastern
Standard Time? Register now!* [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9543
]

I'll be joined in this event by key allies, including Rev. William
Barber II, President of the North Carolina NAACP and a leader in the
Moral Mondays movement, and Rev. Gabriel Salguero, President of the
National Latino Evangelical Coalition. We will also be joined by PICO
clergy and lay leaders from across the country who will give testimony
to the ways they are transforming the lives of their congregations and
communities by affirming the humanity of all God's children and by
saying "Let My People VOTE!"

If you would like to participate, please click the following link and
provide us with the requested information.

*http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9543*
[
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9543
]

On the day and time of the virtual faith summit, we will call the number
that you provide and connect you to our telephone forum. You will then
be able participate in a survey, ask questions and share your thoughts
with PICO and others on the line who have elected to participate.

Click here to register for the virtual faith summit and commission [
http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2115/p/salsa/web/common/public/signup?signup_page_KEY=9543
]. Spread the word among partner organizations involved in GOTV work for
the mid-term elections. Let's build power around this faith movement!

Pastor Mike

Pastor Michael McBride
Director of Urban Strategies & Lifelines to Healing
PICO National Network

PICO (People Improving Communities through Organizing) is a national
network of faith-based community organizations working to create
innovative solutions to problems facing urban, suburban and rural
communities. Nonpartisan and multicultural, PICO National Network
provides an opportunity for people and congregations to translate their
faith into action.

PICO National Network - 110 Maryland Ave NE, Washington, 20002
Copyright 2014 PICO - All Rights Reserved.

PICO (People Improving Communities through Organizing) National Network
is the largest grassroots, faith-based organizing network in the United
States. PICO works with 1,000 religious congregations in more than 200
cities and towns through its 60 local and state federations. PICO and
its federations are non-partisan and do not endorse or support
candidates for office. PICO urges people of faith to consult their faith
traditions for guidance on specific policies and legislation. Learn more
at [ http://www.piconetwork.org ].