[COMM-ORG] Is anyone trying to actually organize in Ferguson?

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 21 09:04:19 CDT 2014

[ed:  thanks to Richard for the response.]

From:
Richard Layman <rlaymandc at yahoo.com>
Date:
8/20/2014 10:52 AM
To:
"colist at comm-org.wisc.edu" <colist at comm-org.wisc.edu>

Can't answer that question, but a published article made a similar point
vis a vis "protest" vs. organizing.

-
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/eugene-robinson-in-ferguson-a-sense-of-african-americans-being-left-behind/2014/08/18/9ba06380-2714-11e4-958c-268a320a60ce_story.html

Also an interesting article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch, about
Ferguson apartment complexes becoming loci of the extremely impoverished.

- http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2024345559_fergusonhoodxml.html

Prince George's County Maryland has experienced a great deal of similar
flows, partly in response to DC's HOPEVI program, which ended up
displacing a lot of public housing tenants to PG County. The county's
crime and poverty problems escalated in response.  Many years ago (they
keep changing indexing systems so I can never find the article0, the
suburban Gazette weeklies (www.gazette.net) did an amazing investigative
report on the fallout.  In my own writings, I linked economic problems
with the PG Hospital system as other fallout from the displacement.

In response, the current County Executive, Rushern Baker, created the
"Transforming Neighborhoods Initiative" to address the problems in a
more srategic and systematic fashion.

http://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov/sites/ExecutiveBranch/CommunityEngagement/TransformingNeighborhoods/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/prince-georges-officials-link-falling-crime-rate-to-transforming-neighborhoods-initiative/2014/01/02/9b86d30e-6f20-11e3-a523-fe73f0ff6b8d_story.html

Note though that PG County is majority African-American and the
governance structure, police department staffing, etc., is also majority
African-American.

Richard Layman
http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com