[COMM-ORG] Discuss: Interfaith Funders transitions news release

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 8 16:54:16 CDT 2014

[ed:  thanks to Moshe for engaging the discussion.]

From: Rabbi Moshe ben Asher & Magidah Khulda bat Sarah
<kharakim at sbcglobal.net>

Considering the announcement that Interfaith Funders will cease
operations as a clearinghouse for foundation grants to support
"organizing as a social change strategy," what is most striking is that
the notice is juxtaposed with a long list of successful organizing
campaigns and initiatives.

Why, one wonders, in the light of the extraordinary record of organizing
successes, do the foundations with the clearest demonstrated commitment
to organizing decide to stop funding it as a social change strategy?
What would prompt such a reversal of direction on their part?

Have they concluded that their resources are no longer needed by the
organizing projects? Hardly.

Do they believe that organizing is about to achieve its most lofty
objectives, thus obviating the need for further support on their part?
Not so much.

Or, possibly, do they believe that given the models and methods that now
dominate organizing, it has more or less reached its maximum potential
in challenging the inequality of power that is at the bottom of
virtually every institutional crisis we face as a nation?