[COMM-ORG] Met Council on Housing Weekly Update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 7 17:01:41 CDT 2014

From:
"Met Council Update" <active at metcouncilonhousing.org>

Weekly Update - August 4, 2014
**
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23335&qid=216503>

*HOUSING MARCH - 8/20*

On Thursday, August 20, join thousands of housing activist, labor union
members
and faith leaders to demand real affordable housing and good jobs.

This city's most devastating affordable housing crisis is getting worse.
We need
a _real_ departure from the policies that got us here. We need to
protect our
rent regulated tenants from illegal rent hikes, harassment, and bad
conditions.
We need pathways to permanent housing for the more than 60,000 homeless New
Yorkers (which includes at least 26,000 children). City Hall must stand
up to
real estate developers who only want to build luxury condos, and develop
a real
plan to improve NYCHA.

This housing crisis may be a result of Bloomberg's policies, but it's
getting
worse under Mayor de Blasio. This month, stand with thousands of New
Yorkers who
demand real actions now.

What: March for Affordable Housing and Good Jobs
When: Wednesday, August 20, 4:30pm
Where: First Corinthian Baptist Church, 1912 Adam Clayton Powell Blvd
(7th Avenue & W 116 Street)

/For more info, contact us at //joseph at metcouncilonhousing.org
<mailto:joseph at metcouncilonhousing.org?subject=I%20Need%20More%20Info%20about%20the%20March>

or //347-409-4650/.

**
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23330&qid=216503>

*PROTEST GENTRIFICATION*

Real estate developers are pushing for approval of a project that has been
rejected by the local community board and the Boro President because of
the lack
of affordable housing.

Only 20% of the apartments in the project - known as "Astoria Cove" -
would be
built as affordable housing. As our director said to the NY Daily News
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23331&qid=216503>

- “That might have been good enough for Bloomberg’s New York, but we
know we can
do better now.”

Join advocates to demand that at least 50% of the apartments in this
project are
affordable for everyday people. We need to send a message to the
administration
that building more luxury condos than affordable housing won't reverse the
housing crisis.

*What*: Protest Gentrification, Demand Real Affordable Housing
*When*: Wednesday, August 6, 9:30am
*Where*: City Planning Commission, 22 Reade Street (one block North of
City Hall)

**
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23330&qid=216503>

*INTERN WITH MET COUNCIL*

As part of our *Building Communities* initiative, the Met Council on
Housing is
recruiting fall interns. We expect interns to do substantive projects, and
interns will have the opportunity to learn about organizing, advocacy, NY
policy, and the Housing Justice Movement. The internship is unpaid.

Hours and schedules are flexible.

Advocacy & Organizing
• Recruit volunteers and participate in phone banks and rallies.
• Work on the Tenant Help Hotline, assisting tenants with their calls.
• Manage numerous tenant cases, including initial phone intake and
follow up.
• Learn about field organizing and constituent services.

Research & Policy
• Research and organize data for Met Council reports.
• Create background reports on housing issues.
• Learn about the process of research and publishing reports.

Communications:
• Update our social media accounts.
• Identify and find guests for the Met Council TV & Radio show.
• Attend press conferences.
• Learn about pitching stories, press cycles and communications strategy.

Center for New Activism
• Write for our blog, activateblog.org.
• Help plan and execute networking events for the Center for new Activism.
• Participate in policy committees.

Qualifications:
• Open to current undergraduate students and recent graduates.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication and writing skills.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask successfully.
• Interest in NY policy preferred but not required.

If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to Ilana Maier at
ilana at metcouncilonhousing.org
<mailto:ilana at metcouncilonhousing.org?subject=I'm%20Interested%20in%20the%20Fall%20Internship>.

Your cover letter should address why you are interested in working for Met
Council on Housing and why you will be a good match for the internship
program.

*MET COUNCIL IN THE NEWS***

"Critics Question REBNY Over Cuomo Disclosures
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23332&qid=216503>"

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23332&qid=216503>

- Commercial Observer

"Astoria Cove Puts Freshman Council Member in Spotlight
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23333&qid=216503>"

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23333&qid=216503>

- Commercial Observer

"Astoria Cove developers boost affordable housing to numbers cited last
year
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23331&qid=216503>"

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23331&qid=216503>

- NY Daily News

"How New York Real Estate Became a Dumping Ground for the World’s Dirty
Money
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23334&qid=216503>"

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23334&qid=216503>

- The Nation

/The Met Council on Housing is dedicated to fighting for
safe, stable, affordable housing for more than 50 years.
Visit us on the web at www.metcouncilonhousing.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6217&qid=39313>/

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23336&qid=216503><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23329&qid=216503><http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=23337&qid=216503>

/Click here to stop receiving our emails.
<http://met.server278.com/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=368&qid=216503&h=70de39a69e6bbcda>
/

/339 Lafayette Street #301
New York, NY 10012