[COMM-ORG] No more "COMM-ORG Papers"?

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 2 10:56:45 CDT 2014

[ed:  thanks to Betty (two messages below) and Peter for responses. Others?]

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bettygrobinson at gmail.com>

Hi Randy,
I love the idea of having a monthly reading - or posting about key
things people can read - maybe even including some kind of discussion.
I think organizers on the ground are really busy so providing a
reference/resource list with links could be really valuable.  Another
idea would be highlighting a unique grassroots organization and their
work each month (300-500 words or less) so people across the country
and/or in school could learn what is happening in different places. I
could definitely help comm-org connect with some strong grassroots
groups in Baltimore.

Betty Garman Robinson
Baltimore
bettygrobinson at gmail.com

******************************

From: "Betty G. Robinson" <bettygrobinson at gmail.com>

Hi Randy, Just an addition to what I wrote earlier.  Re articles and/or
discussion, I am not just talking about news articles, this happened and
that happened, but rather articles that contain and/or would elicit
discussion of strategies for movement building.

Betty
410-245-2868
bettygrobinson at gmail.com

********************************

From: peter miller <peterm at igc.org>

Randy, I have to tell you, the subject line in the digest topic listings
here put a lump in my throat when I first saw it. Comm-Org makes an
important contribution to the movement and I believe the papers are an
important piece of that (that's why I have been a contributor).  I find
the paper topics of interest both substantively and in terms of what the
openness of the venue attracts, like the list and all of Comm-Org, the
thoughtfulness and good-spiritedness of that dimension of the movement's
character. Even if the numbers decline, that is no reason to stop
issuing the call and the offer.  Having said this, let me respond to
your three requests.

First, yes, I am writing something I would like to be part of the
collection.  It is, to be sure, not on the top of my to-do list, but I
have sketched some of it out and it is on a topic I thought of
specifically for a paper for this collection.

Second, as to why there are fewer and fewer papers being sent to
Comm-Org, I suppose all the reasons you suggest are in play.  But if so,
if there are pieces in the mainstream journals and presses, I'd like to
see a listing of them, perhaps a bullet under Comm-Org resources,
perhaps a participatory space where people, in addition to you, could
put them.  I'd say the same thing for individual blogs; the CO bloggers
section has only seven entries.  Notice the kinds of issues this starts
to raise.  Are you/we looking for more suggestions for things for you to
do -- or ways to tap into Comm-Org list subscriber -- and a wider CO
community -- participation?

Finally, if paper submissions continue to decline, I'd still continue
with the ask and the offer.  If there's less work in response so that
you could add a monthly featured readings sessions, I'd welcome that as
I'm sure others would, too.  No reason why one has to be dependent on
the other, is there?  All of which adds up to my 2¢ and, again, a thank
you in appreciation for all you've done with Comm-Org.

best, ----peter
peterbmiller.wordpress.com