[COMM-ORG] No more "COMM-ORG Papers"?

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 1 09:48:18 CDT 2014

Hi COMM-ORG,

Those of you who have been following the COMM-ORG papers series know
that, over the past couple of years, the number of papers as been
dwindling.  So far, this year, I only have one paper in the queue.

So, I have three requests of everyone.  First, I'd like to know whether
anyone is writing anything about community organizing or things related
(which, for me, includes grass-roots people coming together to plan,
research, learn, create, etc.) that they would like to be part of the
collection.

Second, and I'd like this to be a list discussion so I *will* post your
thoughts on why there are fewer and fewer papers being sent to
COMM-ORG.  I have a few hypotheses.  One is that I am seeing more work
on community organizing in the mainstream journals and presses, so it
may just be that COMM-ORG isn't needed as an outlet any more (I got
involved in COMM-ORG in the '90s partly because of an editor who told me
that no one was interested in reading about community organizing).
Another is that there are more people with their own blogs, so again
they don't need COMM-ORG.  And the scariest hypothesis, at least for me,
is that community organizing is falling out of fashion, which I hope
isn't true.

Third, and related, I would like your thoughts on what to do if paper
submissions continue to decline.  My initial idea is to shift from a
papers series to a kind of monthly featured readings series. So I would
look at the existing publicly accessible writings and link to one each
month. Other ideas?

Thanks everyone.

Randy Stoecker
moderator/editor, COMM-ORG