[COMM-ORG] query: survey of CDCs

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Tue May 14 13:35:52 CDT 2013

[ed:  thanks to Harold and Rob for replying to James' query. Apologies
that the list server does not send out attached files, so please contact
Rob directly for a copy of the file he refers to.]

From: Harold Simon <hsimon at nhi.org>

Hi James and all,

Another organization that started post NCCED is the National Alliance of
Community Economic Development Associations (naceda.org) in DC. As their
name suggests, they are an association of state, regional and citywide
CDC associations. They did a census and couple of years ago using a
model similar to NCCED's. I don't know if the have exactly what you're
looking for, but their ED Frank Woodruff (copied) is very knowledgable
about the state of the field and really has his finger on the issues
affecting it.

As you know, we're going to be publishing a focus issue on CDCs in a few
weeks that could probably lead you to some good resources. Stay tuned.

Best,

-Harold

********************************

From: "Silverman, Robert" <rms35 at buffalo.edu>

James,

Attached is a methodology that Sheryl Romeo and Linda Lampkin came up
with for identifying CDCs using IRS 990 data. I believe they did it
about 10 years ago and identified about 5000 organizations. It could
probably be replicated and the use of the IRS data with the new 990
forms could also add insights related to the size and capacity of CDCs.

Rob

Robert M. Silverman, Associate Professor
Department of Urban & Regional Planning
University at Buffalo
Office Location : 07A Hayes Annex C
Mail to: 114 Diefendorf Hall