[COMM-ORG] query: Organizing for Action

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed May 8 08:50:58 CDT 2013

[ed: thanks to Drew and Richard for responding to Michael's query. Others?]

From: Drew Astolfi <drewastolfi at facehawaii.org>

In Hawaii my organization - Faith Action for Community Equity or FACE
has a little contact with OFA.  There is overlap between the leadership
of the two groups.  But the overlap is not very important to either group.

I do think that community organizing in the US has been partially
absorbed/co-opted/influenced by the emerging Democratic party consensus
(5 years of Obama with three more to come and a good chance of Hilary
Clinton being President in 2016) .  As the political elite have become
more liberal in the US, community organizations (PICO, Gamaliel, the
surviving ACORN groups, and National People's Action and the Center for
Community Change) have found it harder to position themselves in a
purely non-partisan way.   Partly this seems like an issue of funding -
as SEIU replaced CCHD as the largest funder of community organizations
the tone of the organizing changed.  At the same time there has been a
simultaneous pressure on the right as the right wing has moved further
and further from the center and identifies community organizing as one
of its enemies.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, since I feel this dynamic is
really changing what community organizing is here in the US.  I am
afraid that is all I have though - a kind of instinct about the way we
are changing.

I think OFA is a symptom of this overall change, but I do not think it
has been all that successful.

**************************************

From: Richard Layman <rlaymandc at yahoo.com>

I haven't looked at the particular organization, and I am not a scholar
of civil society, but I think it's important to recognize that there are
many different elements of social movements, social change and/or
transformation, points on what I call the issue continuum, and
inflection points.

When Hillary Clinton said during the 2008 Presidential election
primaries that "it takes a President to get it done," she ignored the
reality that by the time an issue comes to "a vote" it's likely that
many decades have been spent dealing with a particular issue, building a
base of support, and making it a prominent issue on a national scale.

What I call the issue continuum is merely the recognition that on any
issue there are myriads of positions (points) along a continuum from
very conservative to very progressive.  What I learned through
observation  (it wasn't something that they taught) working at a
national consumer advocacy group with Nader lineage is that if you stake
out a hard core position you don't get it but you get a lot more
movement towards a better outcome than you would if you compromised
early (something that Pres. Obama hasn't learned yet, actually).

A line I use about this is: "when you ask for nothing that's what you
get.  When you ask for the world, you don't get it, but you get a lot
more than nothing."

In my own work now (transportation planning, specifically sustainable
transportation--walking, biking, and transit) I take a social
change-social movement-social marketing-systems approach to the
subject.  We're trying to change people's behavior, we're trying to
build comprehensive support systems for sustainable mobility that are
comparable in strength to the systems that have been built to support
automobility etc.  It's a lot more than just getting the President to
sign a transportation bill.  (cf.
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/bmag/sbsm0909/kn-effective-social-movements.html
and
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/news/bmag/sbsm0909/feature-marketRebels.html?cmpid=bmag&edition=09-autumn)

Basically, OFM is more likely to be what we might call a party
organization (cf. _Political Parties_ by Michels) rather than a
community organizing effort designed to build participatory democracy,
empowered participation (cf. the books _Deliberate Democracy_ and
_Empowered Participation_), civil society or the increase the capacity
of citizens and to focus community, social, and organizational capital
towards bottom-up as opposed to top-down initiatives.

Richard Layman
Washington, DC
http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com