[COMM-ORG] Community Voices Heard update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun May 5 09:13:04 CDT 2013

From: cvh at CVHaction.org

  APRIL 2012

     HEAR OUR VOICES!

     In this NEWSLETTER

     * CVH & ALLIES LAUNCH "OUR CITY, OUR HOMES"

     * THOUSANDS VOTE TO DECIDE HOW TO INVEST $10 MILLION IN NYC
PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING

     * POUGHKEEPSIE "OVERPASS LIGHT BRIGADE" CALLS OUT CORPORATE TAX
EVADERS

     * YONKERS "STATE OF THE people" EVENT tells our side of the story

     * AT NPA CONFERENCE, CVH JOINS FIGHT TO PASS THE ROBIN HOOD TAX

     * NYC HOUSING AUTHORITY PROPOSES PRiVATE DEVELOPMENT ON NYCHA LAND
* CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS FOR MAJOR ELECTION OUTREACH THIS YEAR!
     ARE YOU A CVH MEMBER?

     If you're a member but haven't yet paid your dues for 2012,
contact Mo at CVHaction.org for more info. Aside from all the great
reasons you already know about being a CVH member, now you can get the
brand new CVH hoodies at discounted price if you're a dues-paying
member!

      [3]

       UPCOMING EVENTS

     ** ONGOING: Campaign & chapter meetings are ongoing. _Contact
CVH's campaign organizers [4]_

     ** TUESDAY, APRIL 30: NYC WELFARE CAMPAIGN LOBBY DAY IN ALBANY. East
Harlem, 6pm. _Contact Jennifer at CVHaction.org._

     ** THURSDAY, MAY 9: NYC WELFARE CAMPAIGN MEETING. East Harlem, 6pm.
_Contact Jennifer at CVHaction.org._

     ** FRIDAY, MAY 10: PARTY FOR PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING VOLUNTEERS. East
Harlem, 6pm. _Contact Carmen at CVHaction.org._

     ** FRIDAY, MAY 17: PEACE SLAM. Lateef Islam Auditorium at Family
Partnership Center, Poughkeepsie, 6pm. _Contact Blair at CVHaction.org to
perform or to get involved._

     ** JUNE: NYC MAYORAL FORUMS. We are partnering this year with allies
to host two different forums for the NYC candidates for mayor. One
will discuss the afoordable housing and the other will discuss the
impacts of Hurricane Sandy on low-income residents. Date will be
announced soon. _Contact Chris at CVHaction.org._

     JOIN US ONLINE

     www.CVHaction [5].org [6]

     FACEBOOK

     www.Facebook.com/CVHaction [7]

     TWITTER

     www.Twitter.com/CVHaction [8]

      cvh & allies launch "our city, our homes"

     On April 18 in New York City, we joined with hundreds of allies to
launch the "Our City, Our Homes" effort, which is raising the
importance of affordable housing in this year's elections. THE
PICTURE ABOVE SHOWS THE 300+ PEOPLE THAT MADE IT OUT FOR THE LAUNCH,
BUT WE EXPECT IT TO BE MUCH, MUCH BIGGER FOR THE JUNE FORUM WITH THE
CANDIDATES FOR NEW YORK CITY MAYOR.

     At the forum, we will ask them about improving code enforcement to
improve housing safety, committing to create truly affordable housing,
improving and preserving public housing, and promoting home ownership
and preventing foreclosure. We will be reaching out to many of you, so
take this opportunity to get involved and make sure affordable housing
is a priority this year!

     To learn more about "Our City, Our Homes," contact Kflu at CVHaction.org
[9].

       THOUSANDS VOTE TO DECIDE HOW TO INVEST $10 MILLION IN NYC
PARTICIPATORY BUDGETING!

      [10]In this year's Participatory Budgeting process, CVH helped
to drive thousands of voters to the polls, doing OUTREACH TO PUBLIC
HOUSING RESIDENTS IN EAST HARLEM AND THE SOUTH BRONX, TO THE BENGALI
COMMUNITY IN KENSINGTON, BROOKLYN, TO THE KOREAN COMMUNITY IN
NORTHEAST QUEENS, SANDY-IMPACTED RESIDENTS IN THE ROCKAWAYS, and many
many more.

     And this year, PB is gaining more and more energy.

     CVH and partners at Participatory Budgeting Project (PBP) hosted a
briefing for candidates running for City Council this year, with over
25 campaigns represented, while a number of NYC Mayoral candidates
have begun to publicly take positions in support of PB. We also worked
with PBP and the Community Development Project at the Urban Justice
Center to talk about how PB can help fight corruption in government.

     To learn more, explore the winning projects and final press release
[11] or you can read our statement about how PB can be used as a tool
to fight corruption [12].

     Contact Vincent at CVHaction.org [13] for more info. POUGHKEEPSIE'S
"OVERPASS LIGHT BRIGADE" CALLS OUT CORPORATE TAX EVADERS    [14]

     On tax day this year, Poughkeepsie leaders came together for a game
of "Corporate Tax Dodge Ball" at the Poughkeepsie Post Office to to
highlight who pays their fair share of taxes in the U.S. and who
doesn't. Speakers at the event highlighted tax dodging companies like
Bank of America which stashed $17.2 billion in accumulated profits
overseas in 2012. This was coordinated as one in a series of actions
in over a dozen states part of Americans for Tax Fairness, a national
coalition of more than 275 groups pressing for a fairer tax system.

     IN THE EVENING, CVH MEMBERS HELPED TO LEAD POUGHKEEPSIE'S
FIRST-EVER "OVERPASS LIGHT BRIGADE", HANGING GIANT LIGHTED SIGNS OVER
ROUTE 9 TO CALL OUR BANK OF AMERICA FOR EVADING ITS FAIR SHARE OF
TAXES.

     Check out the Overpass Light Brigade pictures on Facebook [15], and
contact Blair at cvhaction.org [16] to get involved!

       YONKERS "STATE OF THE PEOPLE" TELLS OUR SIDE OF THE STORY

      [17]The Yonkers Daily Voice reported on March 19:

     _Hoping to capture the attention of City Hall, Community Voices Heard
presented its inaugural State of the People address Tuesday night
inside its North Broadway offices. There, the group talked about the
need for more affordable housing, job creation and education,
particularly for low-income and minority residents of southwest
Yonkers._

     _"Mayor Spano will be giving his State of the City address on
Wednesday, and I am sure he will mention the downtown area
developments, the improvement of Yonkers' financial rating," said
Carlos Hodgson. "THIS IS JUST ONE SIDE OF THE STORY. IT'S TIME TO TELL
OUR SIDE."_

     Read some of the media coverage in the Yonkers Daily Voice [18], and
see a brief fact sheet about poverty in Yonkers [19].

     Also, the federal government has found that Westchester County is not
compliant with civil rights laws related to housing and may withold
$7.4 million from the County. The County Executive, though, has
refused to budge. Check out our statement on fair housing and civil
rights in Westchester [20].

     Contact Juanita at CVHaction.org [21] for more info.

       at npa conference, cvh joins fight to pass the robin hood tax
[22]

     To call for the Robin Hood Tax, CVH joined with our allies at VOCAL
last year to march on Wall Street and again to bring the message right
to the homes of New York's 1%. In April, we again joined again
with VOCAL, along with National People's Action, the National
Nurses United, and others to call for the this tony tax on Wall Street
transactions that would raise billions (BILLIONS!) of dollars for
public services that we all rely on.

     CHECK OUT OUR TWITTER FEED [23]TO SEE WHAT WE WERE UP TO IN DC DURING
THE NPA CONFERENCE, which included a huge public meeting with the
chief of staff from "Fix the Debt" a coalition of the 1% fighting for
themselves uin Washington, actions at the home of Eugene Ludwig, a
member of Fix the Debt, and many more actions and events that saw CVH
leaders play key leadership roles.

     For more info about the NPA trip, contact Sondra at CVHaction.org [24].

       NYC Housing AUTHORITY PROPOSES PRIVATE DEVELOPMENT ON NYCHA LAND

     The NYC Public Housing campaign has come out in opposition to the
Housing Authority's proposal to build market-rate housing on NYCHA
land in 8 NYCHA developments in Manhattan, including three
developments in East Harlem and West Harlem.

     THE CAMPAIGN WILL BE WORKING TO PUSH BACK AGAINST THIS EFFORT THAT
WOULD SEE NYCHA DESTROY COMMUNITY CENTERS AND OTHER PUBLIC RESOURCES,
IN ORDER FOR PRIVATE DEVELOPERS TO BUILD ON THE NYCHA LAND. Allies
around the city are already gearing against this "infill" proposal,
fearing that if it happens in Harlem and the Lower East Side, it would
soon spread to other developments around the city.

     Our friends at Met Council on Housing have some background on the
proposal [25], and we recently received word that the proposal has
been slowed down, but it is no time to rest easy.

     Get involved now by contacting Kflu at CVHaction.org [26].

       NYC WELFARE CAMPAIGN CONTINUES ITS PUSH IN ALBANY & nyc

     The Welfare Campaign, the longest-standing effort at the
organization, has been responding to new, humiliating rules that
require WEP workers in New York City to wear bright green reflective
vests on their worksites, along with badges that read "non-employee".
CVH leaders delivered this some of this "WEP Humiliation Gear" to the
head of the city's welfare agency, but he refused to accept it,
understanding just how embarrassing that can be. Meanwhile, the
campaign has continued its state-level effort to end the Work
Experience Program through a legislative push in Albany.

     We have also gotten word that New York City is now requiring New
Yorkers receiving food stamp to perform WEP duties. Expanding WEP to
food stamp recipients is a terrible policy and we will be fighting
against that, as we continue the fight to ensure Transitional Jobs,
like those in the Parks Opportunity Program, are fully funded this
year in the New York City budget.

     To see the video of members delivering the "WEP humiliation gear" to
the city's welfare commissioner, or to get involved with the
campaign fights in New York City or Albany, contact
Jennifer at CVHaction.org [27].

       CALLING ALL VOLUNTEERS FOR MAJOR ELECTION OUTREACH THIS YEAR!
[28]

     Not everyone may know this, but 2013 is a major election year for us.
There are local elections in each of our chapters, with important
issues at stake. We will be conducting non-partisan voter outreach,
voter registration, and education.

     Just last week when we joined with hundreds of allies from around New
York City to launch the "Our City, Our Homes" effort, which is raising
the importance of affordable housing in this year's local
elections. THE PICTURE ABOVE IS THE 300 PERSON LAUNCH EVENT LAST WEEK,
BUT THE FORUM WITH THE CANDIDATES FOR MAYOR WILL BE EVEN BIGGER IN
JUNE!

     If you are interested to get involved in elections outreach this year
in New York City, Westchester County, Orange County, or Dutchess
County, please contact Chris at CVHaction.org [29].

     _**** YOU KNOW THE WORK CVH DOES AROUND THE STATE AND AROUND THE
COUNTRY. PLEASE HELP OUT BY MAKING A CONTRIBUTION TO SUPPORT THIS
WORK. [30]_

       to unsubscribe:
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=455&qid=172136&h=bc1dfb59c49e88a9
Map     115 E 106th St 3rd Fl
New York, NY 10029

Links:
------
[1]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2892&qid=172136
[2]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2871&qid=172136
[3]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2872&qid=172136
[4]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2860&qid=172136
[5]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2861&qid=172136
[6]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2862&qid=172136
[7]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2861&qid=172136
[8]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2863&qid=172136
[9] mailto:Kflu at CVHaction.org
[10]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2864&qid=172136
[11]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2864&qid=172136
[12]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2865&qid=172136
[13] mailto:Vincent at CVHaction.org
[14]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2878&qid=172136
[15]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2876&qid=172136
[16] mailto:Blair at cvhaction.org
[17]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2866&qid=172136
[18]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2867&qid=172136
[19]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2866&qid=172136
[20]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2882&qid=172136
[21] mailto:Juanita at CVHaction.org
[22]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2879&qid=172136
[23]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2877&qid=172136
[24] mailto:Sondra at CVHaction.org
[25]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2869&qid=172136
[26] mailto:Kflu at CVHaction.org
[27] mailto:Jennifer at CVHaction.org
[28]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2873&qid=172136
[29] mailto:Chris at CVHaction.org
[30]
https://cvh.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=2881&qid=172136

--

Randy Stoecker

Professor
e-mail:  rstoecker at wisc.edu

Department of Community and Environmental Sociology
350 Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Madison, Wisconsin
53706

Tel: (608) 890-0764
Fax: (608) 262-6022

Note:  Because messages using the university e-mail system are always subject to the possibility of open records requests, I cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any e-mail communications using this address. You can contact me on my personal e-mail at stoecker.randy at gmail.com for non-university business.