[COMM-ORG] Met Council on Housing update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Jun 29 12:29:36 CDT 2013

From:
"Jaron Benjamin, Met Council" <info at metcouncilonhousing.org>

*BAD BILLS STOPPED IN ALBANY* MET COUNCIL REPORT FEATURED IN NY DAILY NEWS

A bill approving more wasteful tax breaks for wealthy developers
surfaced in the
end of session in the state capitol.

Fortunately, Met Council - with lots of help of pro-tenant elected
officials -
sprang into action and stopped the last minute passage of bills that
would have
added to the nearly $1 billion in tax breaks that developers already
receive
*per year.*

The last day of session was a far cry from the beginning of session,
when the
landlord lobby convince Albany to carve out special 421-a tax breaks for
New
York's wealthiest developers. Last minute advocacy and a well timed
Daily News
article
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6210&qid=40337>
about
a Met Council report stopped the bills in their tracks.

For more in depth analysis, read the end of session report HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6211&qid=39313>.

*RGB APPROVES RENT HIKE*

The Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) approved of the biggest rent hike in the
last 5
years for 2.5 million rent stabilized tenants, allowing increases of 4% and
7.75% for 1- and 2-year leases, respectively.

The new rent guidelines are effective from October 1, 2013 - Sepember
30, 2014.
For more information about the rent hikes, visit the RGB website.

Tenants - now, more than ever - have the highest rent-share burdens and
there
are more homeless New Yorkers than ever before. Our city is in the midst
of a
housing crisis, and instead of helping to fix these problems the RGB
approved of
significant rent hikes.

A body of evidence shows that the rent hikes were based on bad
mathematics - the
board *projects* *the landlords' expenses higher than the landlords*
*actually
reports*. as reported in the June edition of /Tenant/Inquilino/. Read
the report
HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6225&qid=40337>.

*THIS WEEK - R3 MEETING*

The Real Rent Reform Campaign
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6213&qid=40337>
(R3)
- coordinated and staffed by Met Council - is having a meeting on Wednesday
night with strategic planners Sue Karant and Horace Small of Karant &
Associates
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6214&qid=40337>.
The
meeting caps a six-month process in planning the future direction and
structure
of the campaign, which includes 75 member organizations.

If your organization or tenant association would like to get involved,
contact
organizing at realrentreform.org - and come to the meeting!

*REAL RENT REFORM MEETING*

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 | 7:00pm
593 Columbus Ave (at 88th St)
1,B,C to 86th Street

*MET COUNCIL IN THE NEWS*

Dan Beekman of the New York Daily News penned an article detailing the
findings
of the Met Council report "Tax Breaks for Billionaires," and exposed links
between legislators who passed a bill approving billions of dollars in tax
subsidies for developers - and the developers who gave to the
legislators' campaigns! According to numerous pro-tenant legislators, this
article helped prevent similar practices at the end of session this
year. Here's
an excerpt from the article:

Critics argue the breaks are a stark example of why lawmakers should pass
campaign finance reform this week.

“That real estate developers were able to win such a huge giveaway is a
reflection of . . . just how broken the current campaign finance system is,”
said Jaron Benjamin, president of the Metropolitan Council on Housing.

“The reason Albany lawmakers agreed to spend millions subsidizing luxury
housing for the wealthy is clear: Developers who contributed to their
campaigns...expected to be rewarded.”

Click HERE
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6210&qid=40337>to
read the NY Daily News Article.

/Met Council, Inc., is a 501c4 organization dedicated to fighting for safe,
stable, affordable housing for more than 50 years. Visit us at
www.metcouncilonhousing.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6217&qid=39313>/

/Click here to stop receiving our emails.
<http://met.server278.com/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=149&qid=40337&h=2298edcf1133cb20>/
//

/339 Lafayette Street #301
New York, NY 10012
United States/

Join host Scott Sommers in remembering Ella Matthews, reviewing last
week's RGB
rent increase and analyzing the end of session in Albany.

Tune into WBAI: 99.5 FM or wbai.org
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6219&qid=40337>.

Follow Scott on Twitter
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6220&qid=40337>!

<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6215&qid=40337>
Join Met Council today and fight for decent, safe, affordable housing.
To join,
Click Here
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6215&qid=40337>.

Members are the heart and soul of our work, leading campaigns, staffing our
hotline and providing nearly all of our financial support. We depend on the
efforts in everything that we do.

Members receive a monthly subscription to our paper, /Tenant/Inquilino/
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6216&qid=40337>.

Join today!

**
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6221&qid=40337>

Call *212-979-0611* from 1:30-5:00 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and
Fridays to
get advice about your rights as a tenant and where to go for help with your
housing situation.

More info about the Hotline
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6221&qid=39313>
*TENANTS' RIGHTS
WALK-IN CLINIC*

Met Council Research and Education Fund hosts the Tenants' Rights
Walk-In Clinic
offers tenants free assistance for tenants at 61 East 4th Street in
Manhattan,
on Tuesday evenings at 6:30pm.

Note: You must arrive by 6:30 to be served or you may be turned away.

Subway: 6 to Astor Place; F to 2nd Avenue; or N / R to 8th Street.

More about the Tenants' Rights Walk-In Clinic
<http://met.server278.com/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6222&qid=40337>