[COMM-ORG] immigration organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun Jun 9 11:28:17 CDT 2013

[ed:  this is a recruitment message, but also contains information about
the organizing effort.]

From:     Veronica Castro | National People's Action <info at npa-us.org>

Dear Randy,

I want to make sure you have a chance to join me and the rest of the NPA team in taking action.  Last week, I was arrested for blocking traffic on one of Chicago's busiest streets with 11 undocumented youth. Now, I’m asking NPA supporters like you to join our campaign.

We risked our personal safety last week because our families and communities are suffering.  I hope you’ll stand with us right now by signing the petition: https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20886&qid=2477475

While Congress works to pass immigration reform, the Obama Administration is on track to meet their deportation quota and tear 400,000 people from their communities by December 31st -- even people who may be eligible for citizenship if proposed legislation passes.

Will you join me and demand that the President suspend deportations? Sign the petition https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20886&qid=2477475 — it takes just a moment.

You can read my original email about the Obama Administration’s deportation quota and why this issue matters to all of us here at NPA below.

Thank you for taking action with all of us.

-- Vero, Charlene, Amanda, Liz, and the rest of the NPA team

“I wake up every day facing the reality that I can be separated from the people I love and instead of waiting for change, I have chosen to fight for it.”
— Veronica Castro, NPA Immigration Campaign Director

Dear Randy,

Yesterday, I laid down on one of the busiest streets in Chicago, with 11 undocumented immigrants, for a youth-led action. Our group blocked traffic in front of the location where President Obama was scheduled to have a political fundraiser later that evening.[1]

All 12 of us were arrested. Why did we choose to risk arrest? We did it because our families and communities are suffering. Right now, the Obama administration is on track to meet their deportation quota by tearing 400,000 people away from their families every year — that ain’t right. [2][3][4]

Will you join me and demand that the President suspend deportations? Click here to sign the petition — it takes just a moment:

https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20886&qid=2477475

NPA is in the fight to fix our broken immigration system and make sure Congress puts people first. We believe our country needs an immigration system that puts family unity first, protects worker rights and includes a clear pathway to citizenship for all 11 million undocumented immigrants in America. [5]

If the President is serious about fixing our broken immigration system, his administration should stop separating families and suspend deportations.

The Obama Administration’s record-setting deportation policy undermines Congress’ ongoing efforts to fix our broken immigration system by detaining and deporting people who may be eligible for citizenship if proposed legislation passes. [6]

Please stand with NPA and ask the president to make the right choice. Click here to sign the petition and urge President Obama to suspend deportations today:

https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20886&qid=2477475

Thank you for taking action with all of us here at NPA. Together we can keep families together!

—Veronica Castro and the rest of the NPA team

1. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20887&qid=2477475
2. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20888&qid=2477475
3. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20889&qid=2477475
4. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20890&qid=2477475
5. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20891&qid=2477475
6. https://npa.ourpowerbase.net/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=20892&qid=2477475
National People's Action (NPA) is a Network of community power organizations from across the country that work to advance a national economic and racial justice agenda.

National People's Action is headquartered at:
810 North Milwaukee Ave
Chicago, IL 60642