[COMM-ORG] Community organizing report

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sun May 6 15:38:53 CDT 2012

From:     Edward T. Walker <walker at soc.ucla.edu>

  John McCarthy and I recently completed a report from our national
study of low-income community organizing across the U.S. As one of the
leading scholars of community organizing today, I thought you might be
interested in this study. We tracked the diverse organizations that were
funded by the Catholic Campaign for Human Development in the early 1990s
(1991-3) and surveyed those who survived to 2008-9. As you will see from
the report, our survey included a considerable amount of detail about
community-based organizations' structures, processes, funding sources,
issue mobilization efforts, and more. The report is available here:
http://www.communityorganizingreport.org

We hope that you find the report useful in your research and thinking on
efforts to mobilize low- and moderate-income constituencies. Of course,
we welcome any thoughts you have on the project.

Best regards, Ed
Edward T. Walker, Ph.D.
  Assistant Professor of Sociology
University of California, Los Angeles