[COMM-ORG] jobs: policy director, community organizer, New York, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 12 20:52:53 CST 2012

From: "Sean Barry, VOCAL-NY" <sean at vocal-ny.org>

VOCAL-NY recently posted two new positions: Policy Director and HIV/AIDS
Community Organizer. We're hoping that you can help us spread the word -
to friends, colleagues, and listservs - about the position. Both job
descriptions are listed online (http://bit.ly/SvxvGt) and summaries are
copied below.

Thanks in advance for helping us get the word out and please let me know
if you have any questions.

DATED LISTED: December 3rd, 2012

APPLY BY: Preferably by December 20th, 2012. Applications will be
reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be open until filled.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled, but it is
strongly encouraged that they be submitted by December 20th for initial
consideration. Interviews will begin starting in late-December.

ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: VOCAL-NY is a grassroots membership
organization dedicated to creating healthy and just communities by
building power among low-income people affected by HIV/AIDS, the drug
war and mass incarceration. We do this through community organizing,
leadership development, participatory research, policy advocacy and
direct action with the belief that true social change must come from the
bottom up and be lead by those directly impacted. We have chapters in
New York City, Westchester and Albany as well as an affiliated 501(c)4
organization, VOCAL-NY Action Fund, Inc. In addition to our community
organizing projects, VOCAL-NY’s HIV/AIDS Housing Network is a network of
non-profit organizations providing housing assistance to people living
with HIV/AIDS.

During the past couple of years alone, VOCAL-NY’s advocacy has won
significant policy change around affordable housing, progressive
revenue, prison-based gerrymandering, overdose prevention and HIV/AIDS
prevention.

JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARIES

(1) Policy Director (http://bit.ly/TFYwIp)

(2) HIV/AIDS Community Organizer (http://bit.ly/YwtpE2)

POLICY DIRECTOR

The Policy Director will lead public policy analysis, research and
communications activities for grassroots campaigns around HIV/AIDS and
drug policy. Policy issues may include HIV/AIDS housing, overdose
prevention, syringe access, hepatitis C, harm reduction, methadone,
police reform and broader social justice issues like progressive taxation.

The position requires experience in public policy analysis, legislative
advocacy, communications and coalition building. The Policy Director
will work collaboratively with a team of seven community organizers and
our grassroots members to analyze data, develop policy change and
legislative strategies, lobby government officials, coordinate with
allies and deepen public awareness about our policy goals. The Policy
Director reports to the Lead Organizer.

For a list of responsibilities, qualifications and the process to apply,
please visit the job posting online (http://bit.ly/TFYwIp).

HIV/AIDS COMMUNITY ORGANIZER

The HIV/AIDS Community Organizer will be responsible for coordinating
VOCAL-NY’s base building, leadership development and advocacy campaigns
around HIV/AIDS. A central focus for the position will be promoting the
active involvement of people living with HIV/AIDS in policymaking that
affects their lives. The position will include coordinating VOCAL-NY’s
HIV/AIDS Housing Network of non-profit organizations providing housing
services to people living with HIV/AIDS. VOCAL-NY has five full-time and
two part-time community organizers, including a Lead Organizer who will
supervise this position.

For a list of responsibilities, qualifications and the process to apply,
please visit the job posting online (http://bit.ly/YwtpE2).

--
Sean Barry
VOCAL-NY (formerly NYC AIDS Housing Network)
646.373.3344 | sean at vocal-ny.org
www.VOCAL-NY.org

Please like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.