[COMM-ORG] New book on social equity

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 31 08:10:41 CDT 2012

[ed:  congratulations to Tom and Marc.]

From: "Sanchez, Thomas" <sanchezt at vt.edu>

My co-author, Marc Brenman and I are proud to announce that the book,
Planning as if People Matter: Governing for Social
Equity<http://islandpress.org/ip/books/book/islandpress/P/bo8070588.html> (Amazon<http://www.amazon.com/Planning-People-Matter-Governing-Metropolitan/dp/1610910125/>,
Barnes &
Noble<http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/planning-as-if-people-matter-marc-brenman/1112180791?ean=9781610910125>,
Powell's<http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9781610910125-0>), is finally
available!

We know that American communities are changing fast. Ethnic minority
populations are growing, home ownership is falling, the number of people
per household is going up, and salaries are going down, but the planning
field is largely unprepared for these fundamental shifts. In Planning as
if People Matter, we offer practical solutions to make our communities
more livable and more equitable for all residents, covering topics like
stakeholder participation, civil rights, ethics, disaster response, and
technology. It is a critical resource to help incorporate issues of
equity into the planning process. I hope you'll share this information
with your own networks to convey the importance of this issue.

If you are interested in reviewing Planning as if People Matter, please
let me know and I will arrange to have a copy sent to you. To consider
using it in a course, visit http://islandpress.org/educators.html. To
take 25% off, visit the Island Press
website<http://islandpress.org/ip/books/book/islandpress/P/bo8070588.html>
and use discount code 2MATTER on checkout.

Thanks to many of you for your support and encouragement during the
writing process and I hope you enjoy the book.

All best,

-          Tom

Tom Sanchez, Professor
Urban Affairs & Planning, Virginia Tech