[COMM-ORG] query: government and community development

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 18 09:14:08 CDT 2012

[ed:  thanks to Richard for replying to James' query.]

From: Richard Layman <rlaymandc at yahoo.com>

Two things of possible interest, but not directly relevant to your query.

1.  This piece from Governing Magazine.
http://www.governing.com/columns/mgmt-insights/col-coming-decade-local-government-citizen-trust.html

Note that I have been meaning to write about it, using the Pike Place
Market's "thank you" campaign in response to their finishing their
rehabilitation program as funded through a successful millage.

Seattle voters just passed new millages for libraries and for a youth
rehabilitation center.

2.  While the electeds aren't happy about it, there have been some tax
credit funded housing projects in Mesa and Tempe Arizona that I think
are interesting.  The electeds complain that they want market rate
housing, I think it's interesting that these "public housing" projects,
funded by tax credits and built privately, are amenity rich and help
build demographic diversity as a function of otherwise weak real estate
markets.

-
http://www.azcentral.com//community/mesa/articles/20120807mesa-seniors-get-new-housing-downtown.html

I think mostly, local governments are shell shocked over loss in tax
revenues, etc.  The county where I worked briefly merged its planning
and community development divisions and the planning function was
decimated...

The challenge is to energize local communities to take advantage of the
opportunities in adversity, by rearticulating the mission, and building
housing and other projects in places that will be desirable once again.

I have an old blog entry from when Obama was elected, that makes the
point that "chance favors the prepared city."
http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-will-obama-relate-to-district.html

This is similar moment, especially in weak real estate markets.

Richard Layman
DC