[COMM-ORG] Blame the NRA

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 11 10:31:57 CDT 2012

[ed:  Moshe responds to Peter's post with the strategis organizing
question of how to choose a target.]

From: Rabbi Moshe ben Asher & Magidah Khulda bat Sarah
<kharakim at sbcglobal.net>

I don't disagree with Peter Dreier about blaming the NRA, but my
organizer's instinct tells me that if gun-control issue-organizing is
going to "keep its eye on the ball" in the OWS era, it's important to
recognize that the NRA is a shill for the gun and ammunition industries,
which instead should be made the focus of public outrage and targets of
organizing campaigns. These two hugely profitable industries can't raise
the same "principled" objections to gun-control initiatives as the NRA,
since profit is virtually the only reason for their existence.