[COMM-ORG] "64 Years Later, Dead Undocumented Immigrants Are Still Nameless in the New York Times"

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Aug 6 09:35:14 CDT 2012

[ed: sorry, traveling and a sudden server switchover has put me behind
on list messages.]

From: Peter Dreier <dreier at oxy.edu>

*Friends and Colleagues:*

*In 1948, Woody Guthrie wrote his haunting song "Deportee" after reading
a New
York Times article that identified the victims of an airplane crash simply
as "deportees" without names, but identified the names of the pilot and
crew. Yesterday's New York Times did the same thing in an article about a
truck crash in Texas that killed 14 people identified in the headline and
story only as “illegal immigrants.” *

*I wrote about this disturbing parallel in the Huffington Post today in an
article,* * “64 Years Later, Dead Undocumented Immigrants Are Still
Nameless in the New York
Times<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-dreier/64-years-later-dead-undoc_b_1701394.html>
.” *

*Guthrie's words, written 64 years ago about the mistreatment of Mexican
migrant workers -- "They chase us like outlaws, like rustlers, like
thieves"-- are, unfortunately, hardly outdated.
***

*Peter*

Peter Dreier
Dr. E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics
Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Department
Occidental College
1600 Campus Road
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Phone: (323) 259-2913
FAX: (323) 259-2734
Website: http://employees.oxy.edu/dreier

New book: The 100 Greatest Americans of the 20th Century: A Social Justice
Hall of Fame <http://100greatestamericans.org/> *(Nation Books) --
*published
July 2012

* *

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great
moral crises maintain their neutrality" - Dante