[COMM-ORG] bring Movimiento to your city

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:56:16 CDT 2011

 From: Movement for Justice in El Barrio
<movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com>

BRING REPRESENTATIVES OF
Movement for Justice in El Barrio
TO YOUR CITY!

Movement for Justice in El Barrio is now coordinating events for its
upcoming “¡El Barrio No Se Vende! ¡Se Ama y Se Defiende!” – Fall 2011
Speaking Tour. To schedule an event at your community or campus, please
contact Movement directly at movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com.

¡El Barrio No Se Vende! ¡Se Ama y Se Defiende!
2011 Speaking Tour

“BEST POWER TO THE PEOPLE MOVEMENT IN NYC” - VILLAGE VOICE

“IT IS REAL GRASS-ROOTS DEMOCRACY, AND IT IS BEING PRACTICED BY THE
IMMIGRANTS WHO LIVE IN EAST HARLEM” - NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

“For Movement for Justice in El Barrio, the struggle for justice means
fighting for the liberation of women, immigrants, lesbians, people of
color, gays and the transgender community. We all share a common enemy
and its called neoliberalism. Neoliberalism wishes to divide us and keep
us from combining our forces. We will defeat this by continuing to unite
our entire community until we achieve true liberation for all.”
-Words of Movement for Justice in El Barrio

Movement for Justice in El Barrio was founded by immigrants and
low-income people of color of East Harlem to fight for dignity and
against neoliberal displacement. Movement operates on a commitment to
self-determination, autonomy, and participatory democracy.

Driven by multi-national corporations and profit-seeking landlords, and
facilitated by city officials, gentrification has swept New York City,
causing the wholesale displacement of low-income people of color and
immigrants from their communities. East Harlem, affectionately known as
El Barrio, is experiencing a wave of harassment, abuse, and intimidation
as greedy landlords attempt to evict community members from their homes
in order to raise rents and increase profits. With over 700 members,
Movement has gone building-to-building to organize with their fellow
neighbors to build a neighborhood-wide movement for dignity and
justice—from below and to the left.

Deeply inspired by the Zapatistas, Movement has implemented their own
form of Urban Zapatismo in the heart of NYC through community-led,
grassroots participatory democracy.

• Through their “Consulta del Barrio”, thousands of community members
participate directly in community-wide votes and town hall meetings.

• Movement has organized three “NYC Encuentros for Dignity and against
Displacement” to build a city-wide, national and international network
against gentrification. Representatives of 50 groups from across the
country have attended.