[COMM-ORG] May 12 VOCAL-NY organizing event

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 30 11:15:42 CDT 2011

 From: "Sean Barry, VOCAL-NY" <sean at vocal-ny.org>

[VOCAL-NY is working with a diverse coalition of community groups and
unions to hold massive demonstrations on Wall Street on May 12th]

MAY 12TH: MAKE WALL STREET PAY, NOT VULNERABLE NEW YORKERS

We hear it every day: There’s no more money.

No money to provide housing or case management for people living with
HIV/AIDS, keep food pantries and meals programs open, expand harm
reduction programs, and create jobs for people who are coming home from
prison or jail. There’s no money to pay for vital services or invest in
creating jobs.

New Yorkers have had enough. We don't have a spending crisis - we have a
revenue crisis because Wall Street and the richest New Yorkers aren't
paying their fair share.

Join VOCAL-NY and our allies on Thursday, May 12th at 4pm to tell the
Mayor and Wall Street that we can't balance the budget on the backs of
the most vulnerable New Yorkers. Please take three steps TODAY:

• RSVP to Fred Wright (fred at vocal-ny.org, 646.321.5282) or Jeremy
Saunders (jeremy at vocal-ny.org, 917.676.8041)
• Like the action on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/onmay12
• Follow updates on TWITTER: www.twitter.com/onmay12

Mayor Bloomberg is making a choice. With the drastic cuts in his
proposed budget he is turning his back on children, seniors, the
homeless, those living with HIV/AIDS -- the most vulnerable New Yorkers.

In fact, Bloomberg's proposed cuts will have an immediate and negative
effect on nearly all New Yorkers, except for one group, the Wall Street
bankers that are responsible for the financial crisis in the first place.

While Bloomberg’s proposal would have the rest of New York fighting for
scraps to keep supportive housing programs, food pantries, harm
reduction agencies, and other social service programs open, Wall Street
banks would continue to get MILLIONS in tax breaks from the city and
their CEO's giving themselves record-breaking bonuses.

Mayor Bloomberg's budget would create a New York that punishes its most
vulnerable citizens for the crimes and greed of the rich.

This needs to change. And on May 12, it will.

Members from dozens of community groups and unions are coming together
to tell Bloomberg: “No More Cuts – It’s Time for the Big Banks and
Millionaires to Pay Their Fair Share!”

Get involved TODAY!

• RSVP to Fred Wright (fred at vocal-ny.org, 646.321.5282) or Jeremy
Saunders (jeremy at vocal-ny.org, 917.676.8041)
• Like the action on FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/onmay12
• Follow updates on TWITTER: www.twitter.com/onmay12

More details coming soon. See you on May 12th!

-- Sean Barry VOCAL-NY (formerly the NYC AIDS Housing Network - NYCAHN)
646-373-3344 (cell) sean at vocal-ny.org website: www.VOCAL-NY.org
facebook: www.facebook.com/VOCALNY twitter:
http://twitter.com/VOCALNewYork donate online:
http://tinyurl.com/nycahndonate