[COMM-ORG] From PICO to Birmingham

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 28 19:57:46 CDT 2011

 From Rev. Michael-Ray Matthews, news at piconetwork.org

View message in a browser:
http://www.actonsoftware.com/acton/ct/710/s-018d-1104/Bct/q-005a/l-0059:3026/ct0_0/1

When we heard the news this morning of the devastation that was caused
by the tornados in the Southeast region, we thought of our PICO brothers
and sisters in Birmingham. When we heard that entire neighborhoods were
destroyed; church buildings were leveled and more than 130 people were
killed in Alabama; we were reminded once again how fragile life can be.

We’ve heard from the pastors of Birmingham Faith in Action that they are
looking for missing congregation members and that some parishioners and
families have lost significant amounts of property.

To our brothers and sisters in Alabama and around the country, may we
remind you of your faith, courage and resilience in times like this.

Though the mountains slip into the sea,
Though its waters roar and foam,
Though the mountains quake at its base,
God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
Though the earth should change.
God is in the midst of this.
God will help when morning dawns.[1]

Tonight at 7 p.m. CST ( 8 p.m. EST, 6 p.m. MST, 5 p.m. PST) as our
Alabama clergy and faith leaders in Birmingham come together to assess
the needs of the communities, we ask you to pray. Pray that they find
peace in the midst of the chaos and that they can begin the process of
recovery and rebuilding.

Blessings,

Rev. Desi Echoles, Thirgood C.M.E. Church
Birmingham Faith in Action, Clergy Caucus

Rev. Misi Pouena Tagaloa, Second Samoan Congregational Church U.C.C
PICO National Clergy Caucus, Co-Chair

Rev. Michael - Ray Mathews
PICO National Staff

[1] Psalm 46:1-5

Copyright © 2011 PICO
Our address is 110 Maryland Avenue NE, Suite 407, Washington, DC, 20002,
USA