[COMM-ORG] Call to action: "5 MORE Days of Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5"

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 16 08:56:32 CDT 2011

 From: Movement for Justice in El Barrio
<movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com>

Call to action for the new

"5 MORE Days of Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5" campaign

April 10, 2011

To our sisters and brothers of the Ejido of San Sebastian Bachajón:
To our Zapatista sisters and brothers:
To our compañer at s of The Other Campaign:
To our compañer at s of the Zezta Internazional:
To the adherents of the International Campaign in Defense of El Barrio
and our allies across the world:
To the civil society in Mexico and the world:

The following is a new and urgent convocation on behalf of Movement for
Justice in El Barrio to realize the:

"5 MORE Days of Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5"

>From April 24th to the 28th.

Receive affectionate embraces and greetings from Movement for Justice in
El Barrio, The Other Campaign New York. We want to share with all of you
an urgent proposal on behalf of the humble and simple migrant community
of El Barrio, New York.

Upon learning the latest news, today we find ourselves more than ever
with our hearts beating with rage and our lungs breathing the will to
fight back.

During the morning of Friday, April 8, 2011, our compas from the ejido
of San Sebastián Bachajón once again recovered control of the tollbooth
– which they themselves had installed – that marks the entrance to the
Agua Azul waterfalls in the territory of the Bachajón ejido. This
dignified and rebellious action, which constituted another step forward
in the process of building justice and autonomy for indigenous peoples,
truly inspired us.

On the following day, April 9, over 800 police and military agents, sent
by the repressive PAN president Felipe Calderón and the repressive PRD
governor Juan Sabines Guerrero, arrived at the location of the tollbooth
and violently displaced the ejidatari at s. Shortly after this act of
repression by the bad government, three compas disappeared.

This reaffirmed, once again, what we have already known for quite some
time now: That the bad government with its many faces – be they PAN,
PRI, PRD, or PVEM – has only one modus operandi, which is rooted in
brutality, violence, and repression. It is another example that shows us
very clearly the fact that the bad government, in all its faces, always
responds with aggression and injustice to humble and simple peoples who
organize themselves autonomously for dignity and against displacement.

Recently, moreover, the bad government of Juan Sabines Guerrero has
acted out vengeance towards our 5 compañeros – Jerónimo Guzmán Méndez,
Domingo Pérez Álvaro, Domingo García Gómez, Juan Aguilar Guzmán y
Mariano Demeza Silvano – who remain political prisoners, hostages of the
State, and in horrible conditions.

In a profound and heartfelt letter that they sent us a few days ago,
they tell us a bit about their daily life. Their powerful and dignified
words have touched our heart, giving us more energy to continue fighting
for their liberation. Our compañeros inform us that they are

“tired of the mistreatment. They only give us food and scarce amounts of
water once a day, and we have gotten sick due to the horrible food that
they give us. They do not provide any medication. And when our relatives
visit us, they deny us the food that they have brought for us, and they
force them to remove their clothing in order to be searched. For this
reason, from this prison, we make public our denouncement and hope that
you all continue to support us. Don’t give up the fight! We too are in
the struggle to defend our lands so that our futures will no longer
belong to the government. Until victory, always!”

In addition to this horrible mistreatment, day after day, they are
forced to do “denigrating” work. And if they do not obey the orders of
the repressive governor Juan Sabines Guerrero, they receive threats of
additional confinement.

It is clear that all of these acts of aggression were provoked by the
organized resistance of the people of Bachajón and by the national and
international pressure that we generated via our solidarity actions
during the “Worldwide Day of Action for the Liberation of the Political
Prisoners of San Sebastian Bachajón and “5 Days of Worldwide Action for
the Bachajón 5.” As the ejidatari at s of Bachajón explain: “This bad
government has taken other reprisals to continue pressuring us into
handing over our lands and their resources.” Responding to all of the
movement that is spreading across the world for the Bachajón 5, the bad
government has reacted in typical fashion: with violence.

In agreement with this account, a letter recently released by the World
Organization Against Torture (OMCT), headquartered in Geneva,
Switzerland, confirms that

“it is feared that the threats and acts of harassment they are suffering
are the result of the solidarity actions which are taking place in
support of the prisoners, in particular those of the campaign '5 Days of
Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5' which were held between the 1st and
5th of April 2011.”

This is a fatal symptom, a sign of desperation, which indicates to us
that those from above have been forced to seek other ways of defending
themselves at any cost against their worst enemy: An organized people.

In spite of the numerous threats and harassment, in spite of all the
hordes of anti-riot helicopters and vans, our sisters and brothers of
San Sebastián Bachajón have not given up. Rather, they are advancing in
their struggle.

For this reason, we cannot give up either. We must not rest until our 5
brothers are in complete freedom and until the Bachajón community’s just
demands are respected.

As such, we propose the following:

1) That we anticipate and remain vigilant for anything that happens.
Likewise, that we be prepared to organize immediate, emergency actions
if the bad government inflicts any form of violence upon the
ejidatatri at s of San Sebastian Bachajón during the following weeks.

2) That we unite our forces once again to realize “5 MORE Days of
Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5” in order to continue fighting
together to free the 5 political prisoners of San Sebastián Bachajón,
who are adherents of The Other Campaign, and in support of the struggle
for dignity and autonomy that the ejidatari at s of Bachajón are carrying out.

Through our solidarity actions, together, we were able to make echo the
true history of the Bachajón people and their struggle to defend their
lands and natural resources from the avarice of the multinational
corporations and their political lackeys. Both of whom seek to
dispossess the ejidatari at s from their tollbooth in order to seize the
natural wealth that exists in the ejido’s territory. (The second
video-message on this can be seen at this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YRULc-2cBY)

Each time we come together to denounce and contest the bad government
and neoliberalism that do all of this simply to accumulate more wealth,
we create inalterable cracks in the walls of the prison that confines
our five brothers. Now more than ever, we must continue to apply
pressure so that these cracks turn into dust.

Once more, we invite each one of you, from every part of the world, in
your own way, to realize actions to demand that the PRD governor and
repressor Juan Sabiness Guerrero immediately release each one of the
five political prisoners.

We propose that together we join forces by organizing actions–from our
respective locations and different forms of struggle—such as
demonstrations, marches, informative street actions, flyering, public
forums, theater, teach-ins, and any other activity to bring about:

"5 MORE Days of Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5”
from April 24th to the 28th.

We ask that you please let us know as soon as possible, if you accept
our proposal and will participate. You may contact us via e-mail at:
movimientoporjusticiadelbarrio at yahoo.com

During the following weeks we will be paying close attention to any new
developments in San Sebastián Bachajón. That way, if anything serious
happens to our sisters and brothers, we will be ready to organize
emergency actions.

Justice, Land, and Freedom for the Ejidatarios of San Sebastián Bachajón!
Free the Political Prisoners of San Sebastián Bachajón!
Long live the women of San Sebastián Bachajón!
Stop the Aggressions against Adherents of The Other Campaign!
Long live the women of San Sebastián Bachajón!
Long live the Zapatistas!

We send you embraces of love and solidarity.