[COMM-ORG] The New York Other Campaign Takes over the Mexican Consulate

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:36:12 CDT 2011

 From:
Movement for Justice in El Barrio <movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com>

THE NEW YORK OTHER CAMPAIGN TAKES OVER THE MEXICAN CONSULATE TO DEMAND
THE RELEASE OF THE 5 POLITICAL PRISONERS OF SAN SEBASTIAN BACHAJON

At 7:30 a.m. on Monday, April 4th, the fourth day of the “5 Days of
Worldwide Action for the Bachajón 5” campaign, members of Movement for
Justice in El Barrio, The New York Other Campaign, entered and took over
the Mexican Consulate in New York City. We executed this occupation as
part of this campaign to protest the cruel state repression of the
dignified struggle of the ejidatari at s of San Sebastián Bachajón,
Chiapas, México, who are also adherents of The Other Campaign, as they
are defending their natural resources against the plundering of
transnational business disguised as an “ecotourism plan.”

In our action, like the rest of our fellow Mexicans who lined up to
enter to Mexican Consulate, we passed through a pack of guards. We
realized that each time we realize actions there, the security
increases, and that the number of guards multiplies. There is always
more each time we go. At any rate, this did not stop us. We moved
forward and firmly entered that tall building located amidst the golden
streets that run like veins through the heart of global capitalism.

It is here in this area of one of the world’s most expensive cities, and
inside those gray skyscrapers, where decisions are made that not only
fill the pockets of greedy capitalists and their policital lackeys, but
also impact the lives of all the simple, humble, hardworking, and
dignified people of the world.

Upon entering the consulate, we saw that, as usual, it was full of other
displaced Mexican migrants like ourselves who were waiting for the
government employees – the very entities who compelled us to migrate
here in the first place – to assist them.

With signs and fliers in our hands, and with a profound rage in our
chests, we chanted loudly. We demanded to see the Consul to read to him
our letter, which denounced the violence and injustice that the bad PAN,
PRD, and PRI government has meted out to the people of Bachajón and
demanding that the Mexican government and its complicit employees
immediately free the 5 politiical prisioners of Bachajón and that they
respect the compas’ demands.

On multiple ocassions the guards attempted to remove us from the
building—even via physical force. The employees tried to silence us, but
they did not succeed.

A compañera from Movement read our letter aloud so that all of our
fellow compatriots who were present could recognize the bad government’s
misdeeds; and we shouted: “No PRI, No PAN, No PRD! The Other Campaign
Against Power!” The employees and guards watched our every move and
tried to intimidate us by taking out their cameras and photographing and
recording our faces. We handed out informative fliers that explained the
situation of our brothers and sisters of Bachajón and the grave
situation our 5 compañeros are currently suffering. Towards the end of
our action, the consulate officials called the police, who also
attempted to silence us and get us to leave. Their fear, however, has no
dignity. We foiled their intentions and continued to pass out even more
fliers.

Afterwards, we returned to our community of East Harlem. Here in El
Barrio, like our sisters and brothers of San Sebastián Bachajón, we
fight against displacement and for dignity. We fight, also, as part of
The Other Campaign so that there is justice in our Mexico, so that our
people no longer have to flee the poverty, as we did. Although we are
here in New York, our beloved Mexico lives on in our hearts and in our
dreams. For this reason, we realized today’s action. They say in The
Other Campaign that “an injury to one is an injury to all.” For the
humble and simple people of El Barrio, this is not simply a saying, but
rather, as we demonstrated today, a practice and action that should be
our path towards justice and dignity.

That is all for now, compas. To conclude, we are including here the
demands of the ejidatari at s of Bachajón in English, Spanish, and Tzeltal
that we delivered to the bad government of Mexico.

We demand the unconditional freedom of our compañeros, political
prisoners, who are currently hostages of the bad government of Chiapas
and Mexico.

Exigimos la libertad incondicional de nuestros compañeros, presos
políticos que están siendo rehenes del mal gobierno de Chiapas y de México

Ya jsutik te ak’a kolok’ ta chukel te mololabtik ta oranax ma’ xu’ ya
yich’ k’anbeyel smulta, na’otik te chopol awalil ja’ nax la xchuk yu’un
ta spobeyel te lumsk’inal son te sk’ulejal te banti nakal, ta slumal
Chiapa ta sk’inal México.

We demand respect for our mother earth, lands, and territories within
the framework of our autonomy as indigenous peoples.

Exigimos el respeto a nuestra madre tierras y territorios en el marco de
nuestra autonomía como pueblos indígenas que somos.

Ya jsutik te yich’el ta muk’ te jch’ul jmetik ta spamal lum k’inal sok
chapanel xkulejal te ja yu’un stalel te bats’il ants winiketik.

We demand respect for our right to administer and care for our natural
resources according to our culture as native peoples.

Exigimos el respeto a nuestro derecho a administrar y cuidar nuestros
recursos naturales desde nuestra cultura como pueblos originarios.

Ya jsutik ta yich’el ta muk’ te cocheltik sok skanantayel sok yilel te
bitik sk’ulejal te jch’ul jmetik lum k’inal jich bin útil xkuxlejal te
bats’il ants winiketik.