[COMM-ORG] job: Managing Associate- Community change research and capacity building, DC area, no salary info

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:33:23 CDT 2011

 From: "David Chavis" <dchavis at communityscience.com>

We are looking for a beginning to mid career persons with a passion for
the science and practice of community and other systems change. We would
like to fill the position as soon as possible. The position description
and application procedure is pasted below.  The position is in the
Washington, DC area (Gaithersburg, MD) Thank you.

Managing Associate in Research & Capacity Building

(Washington, DC Area)

Community Science is looking for a full-time Managing Associate to lead
research and technical assistance tasks for national and local
initiative across the US. You will be working with public agency and
nonprofit representatives, community leaders, evaluators, and others on
federal, state, and foundation initiatives. We are looking for an
individual to join us in taking the professional practice of social
change through science and capacity building to a higher level. We
promote teamwork, excellence in our work, and the professional
development of all of our community members.

We are looking for someone with the knowledge, skills, and experience
in: 1) community and systems change to promote healthy communities and
families in order to address social problems such as poverty, health
inequities, substance abuse, violence, HIV, and crime as well a healthy
human development; and 2) community organization and development,
community capacity building, or community building. The successful
candidate must be committed to scientific rigor and progressive social
change through community capacity building.

The successful candidate must have:

·         Two years prior experience (minimum) in the implementation of
research or evaluation of community based or systems change projects.

·         Masters or doctoral degree (preferred) in a social science,
public health, or related fields

·         Prior knowledge or research experience in at least one area of
community change (e.g. community organizing, collaboration, advocacy,
public will building and capacity building). Evaluation capacity
building experience highly desirable.

·         Prior task management and staff supervisory experience and skills

·         Successful experience conducting research or evaluation cross
culturally

·         Demonstrated proficiency in qualitative and quantitative
research skills, including data collection and management.

·         Analysis skills, including the use of computer analysis tools
(e.g. SPSS, Atlas, or GIS)

·         Ability to travel

·         Strong communication (written and verbal) skills including
publications in scientific or practitioner outlets

·         Ability to multi-task, attend to details, and meet strict
deadlines

Salary and Benefits:

Community Science offers full- time employees a comprehensive benefits
program including health, dental, prescription drug, and vision plans;
retirement plan with company match; paid vacation, sick leave and
holidays; opportunities and funds for professional development. This
position will be filled as soon as a suitable candidate is found.

To apply: Send resume, writing sample (single authored), and references
to: Community Science - SA

438 North Frederick Avenue, Suite 315

Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Fax: (301) 519-0724

careers at communityscience.com

NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE

About Community Science

At Community Science, our mission is to develop and use the knowledge
that can change communities and other systems. Our group practice of
social change professionals is committed to building healthy, just, and
equitable communities. We are strongly committed to the professional
development of our members.

Community Science staff provide award winning services to government
agencies, foundations, non-profit organizations and community based
organization such as: research and technical assistance on community
capacity building; evaluation technical assistance, participatory
research and learning evaluations; training and consultation on
community development, community building, and collaboration; and
identification and replication of successful community strategies.

Community Science is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to
a culturally diverse staff to enhance our ability to work with different
communities.

Visit our web site  http://www.communityscience.com for a more detailed
description of our organization.

Connecting knowledge with social change