[COMM-ORG] latest issue of Shelterforce

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:31:26 CDT 2011

 From: Matthew Hersh <mhersh at nhi.org>

Shelterforce Spring 2011: Fair Housing - The Work Continues and the
Vision Expands

The Spring issue of Shelterforce is here! In this issue, we look at
fair housing and the continued fight for equity in the 21st century.
This fight includes not only improving effectively segregated
communities, but also fighting for equal access to existing opportunity.

This issue also continues our housing policy interview series
(http://www.shelterforce.org/archive/cat/C88/
) with HUD Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity,

John TrasviF1a. www.nhi.org/go/trasvina

Equity Is Not Optional
Addressing racial and economic disparities is not only the right thing

to do - it's the only way we can succeed.
By Angela Glover Blackwell
http://nhi.org/go/blackwell

Counterpoint: The "Housing+Transportation Index" and Fair Housing
The Center for Neighborhood Technology released its index measuring
neighborhood affordability. Here, CNT argues the index provides a fair

calculation in siting affordable housing in areas that are truly
affordable in terms of transportation costs. The Poverty & Race
Research Action Council, however, remains concerned about segregated,

higher poverty neighborhoods.

We Need a Better Measurement of Opportunity
By Philip Tegeler
http://nhi.org/go/tegeler

Consider Transportation Cost to Make Fair Housing Practical
By Scott Bernstein
http://www.nhi.org/go/bernstein/

Integrating Schools Is a Matter of Housing Policy
Inclusionary zoning and economic integration in suburban neighborhoods

reduces concentration of poverty and improves low-income children's
academic achievements.
By Heather Schwartz
http://www.nhi.org/go/schwartz/

Assistant Secretary John TrasviF1a
TrasviF1a, the HUD Assistant Secretary for Fair Housing and Equal
Opportunity, discusses updates to the Fair Housing Act, a changing
definition of family, changes to Section 3, and affirmatively
furthering fair housing.
By Miriam Axel-Lute, Matthew Brian Hersh, and Harold Simon
http://nhi.org/go/trasvina/

Also in this issue, we look at

Fighting Predatory Equity
http://www.nhi.org/go/levy/

Saving the Birthplace of Hip-Hop
http://www.nhi.org/go/fergusson/

Planning on Shrinking
http://www.nhi.org/go/popper/

CDCs and the Emerging Shrinking City Movement
http://www.nhi.org/go/mallach/shrinkingcities/