[COMM-ORG] Scare tactics regarding Madison-style democratic protests (Please post to list)

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Sat Apr 9 18:27:43 CDT 2011

 [ed:  thanks to John and Amy for the replies.]

From: "John M. Beam" <John_Beam at verizon.net>

Hello Alison,

As someone who was born, if not bred, in Yakima, let me wish you good
luck and all best wishes on y'all's budget fight.

I am sure that folks with "boots on the ground" experience in Madison
will provide the counterfactual on how they cared for their capitol, but
I think research shows that you never recover all the "ears" you lose
because of a propagandistic big lie.  I also think the issue, while
troubling, is a sideshow.  Your demonstrations either will or will not
trash the building, regardless of the pol's concern.

I feel strongly that the more central issue is exploring is whether
replicating the Madison experience moves your agenda.  What is the power
analysis that suggests it should work on your targeted policy makers.
(You might want to talk to folks who camped out in New York State
Capitol in Albany last week.)

It is important to remember that "Madison" had its context and
missions.  While I use the plural, one of its important missions was to
keep public attention focused on a parallel strategy, the boycott of the
quorum by the Democrat legislators, that was actually rooted in
structural authority of which they were taking advantage.  When the
Republicans manipulated their structural prerogatives, the game moved
on...back to the streets and into the courts, another locus of
structural power.

As much as I believe morally in speaking truth to power, we are in a
period where the targets are less vulnerable to shame and embarrassment
than they were a generation ago.  Speaking truth to power might invoke
moral authority, but I strongly believe we need to do more hard nosed
power analyses that help us decide when moral authority by itself
represents a form of power that can move our agenda by itself.

Peace,

John M. Beam
Pumphouse Projects
Brooklyn NY