[COMM-ORG] job: director, Los Angeles, no salary info
Discussion list for COMM-ORG
colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 30 08:50:44 CDT 2010
From: "Lee Winkelman" <lwinkelman at aol.com>
I want you to know about an exciting opportunity to head up a dynamic,
growing congregation-based community organizing group in Los Angeles. We
are looking for an executive director for LA Voice-PICO. Please help
pass on the job description (below) to anyone who might be interested. I
am happy to answer any questions about the position.
Philanthropic and Nonprofit Consultant
1016 Alvira St.
Los Angeles, CA 90035
516 603-3350 cell
323 375-3243 fax
lwinkelman at aol.com
Job Title: Executive Director
Organization: LA VOICE
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posting Date: September 24, 2010
About the LA Voice:
LA Voice is an interfaith, community organization that unites people
from diverse backgrounds to improve the quality of life, especially for
those in greatest need. Founded in 2000, LA Voice has 25 member
congregations representing 30,000 families. It has successfully worked
to increase access to health care, make neighborhoods safer, improve
public schools, build affordable housing, and mobilize infrequent voters
throughout Los Angeles. LA Voice teaches people to speak, act, and
engage in the public arena. The organization has developed a strong base
of community leaders that are striving to transform the city. Together,
LA Voice leaders from different parts of Los Angeles are creating
innovative solutions to the most pressing problems facing our
neighborhoods. LA Voice has a budget of over $500,000 and a staff of 4,
plus interns. More information about the organization can be found at
We are part of the PICO National Network, which has developed community
leaders in 150 cities and 18 states. With more than one thousand
religious congregations, schools, and neighborhood organizations, PICO
is one of the largest grassroots community efforts in the United States.
For more information, see www.piconetwork.org.
The Executive Director position is a fast paced and highly dynamic
position that requires one to both be on the ground level of the
organization and to have the capacity to plan strategically for the
organization’s future. The position combines the ability to manage a
growing organization, to develop leaders among a diverse population, and
to oversee strategic organizing campaigns to win policy victories on a
variety of issues, including affordable housing, education reform, bank
regulation, and immigration reform. It requires someone who can develop
strong relationships with individual leaders within LA VOICE while at
the same time building coalitions and navigating the complicated
politics of our country’s second largest city.
A PICO Network Staff Director, the LA VOICE Executive Director has
overall responsibility for the day to day management and operation of
the congregation-based community organization. This includes the
• Developing, supporting and coordinating organizational leaders at the
local and federated (city-wide) levels.
• Assisting leadership in defining organizational vision and goals and
implementing strategic organizing issue campaigns.
• Maintaining the budget and guiding its expansion. Must have the
capacity to raise and manage grants, solicit donations from corporations
and individuals, and oversee grassroots fundraising events and drives.
The executive director also manages the fundraising activities of staff,
the Board and other LA Voice member-leaders.
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with and building
coalitions of policy leaders and other key strategic allies.
• Hiring, training and supervising all professional and administrative
• Ensuring that there are regular Leadership Congresses, bringing
together LA Voice leaders to build relationships, develop leadership
skills, and advance policy campaigns.
• Making appropriate monthly written reports to the Board.
· A minimum of 5 years of organizing experience, preferably in a PICO
congregation-based community organization.
· A willingness to embrace fundraising and an ability to raise money
from diverse sources.
· Ability to build coalitions and navigate the complicated political
environment of L.A.
· Familiarity with the principles and practices associated with
congregation-based community organizing.
· Demonstrated competence and leadership in multi-faith, multi-lingual,
· Strong familiarity with Los Angeles community would be preferable.
· Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Spanish fluency is strongly preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is competitive, depending on experience
All applicants must apply for this position by October 15, 2010 using
the online application at http://bit.ly/LAVoice100921. Please have the
following (3) documents ready to be included with your application:
1. An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) ready to
be uploaded with your application,
2. A cover letter (outlining your qualifications for this position)
ready to be cut and pasted into the online application form, AND
3. A writing sample ready to be cut and pasted into the online
If you need assistance with your application, contact
jobs at piconetwork.org. For more information about the position, contact
office at lavoicepico.org.
As a grassroots organization working with a wide range of communities,
we strongly encourage applications from women and people of color.
More information about the Colist