[COMM-ORG] New York: invitation to Atenco victory celebration

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Sep 30 08:48:01 CDT 2010

  From: Movement for Justice in El Barrio
<movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com>

Movement for Justice in El Barrio

An invitation to members and families of organizations, community
members, and people of good conscience who are fighting for justice.

From: Movement for Justice in El Barrio, The Other Campaign New York

THE LIBERATION OF ATENCO:

A NYC VICTORY CELEBRATION

Wednesday, October 13th at 7 pm

Join us to celebrate this triumph for humanity and

against displacement.

 From East Harlem to Chiapas, from New Orleans to South Africa to
Salford, from Chinatown to Morocco to San Salvador Atenco and in all of
the places in between, there are humble and simple people like ourselves
rising up in dignified rage and fighting back against neoliberal
displacement to keep their homes, their land and save their communities.

In Mexico, a member organization of the Zapatista initiated The Other
Campaign, the People’s Front in Defense of the Land, organized in their
community of San Salvador Atenco and in 2002 successfully put a halt to
the federal government’s project to take away their land in order to
build an international airport.

In May of 2006, the government of Mexico avenged this victory by
savagely attacking the population of Atenco. During this military and
police attack, two youth were killed, thirty women were tortured and
raped, and they incarcerated more than 200 people. Some of the political
prisoners were sentenced to up to 112 years.
Movement for Justice in El Barrio and other organizations belonging to
The Other Campaign and beyond expressed our commitment to “an injury to
one is an injury to all” by launching a worldwide campaign to ensure the
liberation of the political prisoners. This fight for the freedom of our
compañeros, led by the People’s Front in Defense of the Land, recently
resulted in the liberation of all the political prisoners of Atenco.

Despite the government’s attempt to destroy the community of Atenco’s
powerful struggle, the People’s Front in Defense of the Land is now
stronger than ever.

Their resistance and courage has been an inspiration to us as well as a
powerful reason to keep fighting.

We invite you to join us in celebrating this remarkable triumph.

Let us share our joy together.

At the celebration we will also premiere our new film: “Atenco Vive:
2001 to 2010”. The film includes our most recent visit to Atenco where
Movement for Justice in El Barrio celebrated with our compañer at s.

THE LIBERATION OF ATENCO:

A NYC VICTORY CELEBRATION

Wednesday, October 13th

7 pm