[COMM-ORG] new book on school desegregation and race

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 8 09:56:59 CDT 2010

  [ed:  Howell continues the discussion.]

From: Howell Baum <hbaum at exch.mail.umd.edu>

Dear Bill,
I think your observation is reasonable.  These are classical liberal
values.  They run deeply in the American grain, such that contemporary
"conservatives" can claim them in good faith.  Liberals put more weight
than conservatives on equality in addition to liberty, but I think this
individualism and proceduralism shape much American thinking.  And they
make it difficult for liberals to respond positively to conservative
attacks on "big government," "government programs," "limits on the
individual," and so forth, because liberals themselves are ambivalent
about these things and lack an explicit unambiguous language for
recognizing groups (whether races or communities) or advocating positive
government action.

Regards,
Howell