[COMM-ORG] financial reform organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 6 08:56:39 CDT 2010

  From: National People's Action <npa at npa-us.org>

September 3rd, 2010

The initial comment period to consider revamping our outdated lending
laws has ended this week, and we delivered a powerful message to big
banks and their regulators:

723 of you wrote to the big bank regulators with your own stories about
how big banks have destroyed our economy and are doing little to clean
up the destruction they've caused.  A special thanks to all our friends
at A New Way Forward who helped us get the word out and submitted many
comment letters.

Bank regulators heard that we need good, quality loans and investment by
the banks in our communities. They got the message that everyday people
are watching what they're doing and will make sure our government is
working for us and not big bank bottom lines.

What's next? The regulators will take all the comments and come up with
a proposal for new bank rules in the next six months.  Together we'll
make sure that the rules that get put in place put our communities first.

Thank you for stepping up and speaking out!

National People's Action (NPA) is a Network of community power
organizations from across the country that work to advance a national
economic and racial justice agenda.  NPA has over 200 organizers working
to unite everyday people in cities, towns, and rural communities
throughout the United States.

810 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago, IL 60642
United States