[COMM-ORG] query: source of "felt needs"

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 3 03:14:04 CDT 2010

  "Alyosha Goldstein" <agoldste at unm.edu>

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get an idea of sources for the term "felt needs" in
community development literature.  The term is pervasive in CD lit after
WWII, but while folks like T.R. Batten or Arthur Dunham, or pretty much
everyone writing about India's community development program, provide
various definitions, they seem to consider using the term self-evident
enough not to require further citation. "Felt needs" regularly appears
in Progressive Era community organization literature (likewise without
citation).  Eduard Lindeman discusses "needs" but, not (to the best of
my knowledge) "felt needs" per se.

In any case, my best guess is that the term is taken from mid-19th
Christian theological literature, but I haven't had much luck tracking
down specific sources or discussions of the term's origins.

I would be grateful for any and all ideas comm-org readers might have.

Many thanks,

Alyosha

Alyosha Goldstein
Assistant Professor