[COMM-ORG] Community Voices Heard update

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 25 09:07:21 CDT 2010

  From:     Taja Lindley <taja at cvhaction.org>

Yesterday, members of Community Voices Heard gathered in front of the
New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) headquarters for a press
conference releasing our latest report "Bad Arithmetic: The Failure of
New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA)  Recovery Funds to Create Jobs
for Local Residents."

Last year CVH members successfully pushed Congress to include $423
million in the national recovery package for NYCHA to make much needed
repairs to public housing and provide job opportunities for residents.
In order to save public housing developments and prevent the demolitions
that have happened in most other cities across the country, it is
critical that these recovery-funded repairs happen; and with 30,000
NYCHA residents unemployed and looking for work, it is also critical
that residents have access to job and training opportunities.

CVH members put together a survey with the help of Chris Famighetti, a
graduate student at the New School, to investigate how NYCHA residents
were (or were not) benefiting from the $423 million in stimulus funds.
We knocked on doors in eight developments across four boroughs and
collected over 300 surveys. We found that much needed construction and
repairs had not even started in most places, even when NYCHA had
reported that it had. We also found that most NYCHA residents were
unaware of federal regulations requiring contractors to hire residents
when they receive money from HUD, and the vast majority had not seen or
heard about job opportunities for the construction planned for their
buildings. Out of over 3,200 jobs created with NYCHA recovery funds,
only 214 went to residents. These numbers do not add up. As a result,
CVH members held a "math lesson" at yesterday's press conference,
calling on NYCHA to ensure that from now on, 30% of the hours worked on
renovation projects be done  by workers who are residents

For a copy of our report, please visit our website:
www.cvhaction.org/BadArithmetic