[COMM-ORG] foreclosure organizing

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 21 12:23:46 CDT 2010

  From: Showdown in America <npa at npa-us.org>

   [1]Outraged by the recent actions of big banks fraudulently
foreclosing on homes and crashing our economy which left 8 million
Americans without jobs, members of Alliance to Develop Power (ADP),
SEIU, Jobs with Justice (JWJ), and National People's Action (NPA)
took over the American Bankers Association annual meeting at the Hynes
Convention Center in Boston [2], yesterday morning.

  Dressed as bankers, a small group of women from ADP - TC Eckstine,
Jamie Sadiq, and Caroline Murray - took turns interrupting the ABA
plenary session called "Turbulent Times" where over 1,000 bankers were
in attendance. THEY DEMANDED THE ABA:

      * Fix the foreclosure crisis and move millions of families into
fair mortgage modifications with principal write-downs.
      * Invest responsibly and sustainably in community-led economic
development projects to create jobs.
      * Stop bankrupting taxpayers and communities.
      * End discriminatory lending practices.
      * Provide workplace protections to employees.

  "While the ABA is sitting in luxury watching a power point on
values, we put our values into action. They have been put on notice,"
said Caroline Murray, executive director of Alliance to Develop Power,
a community organization in Massachusetts.

  The women were detained by Boston Police and told they would be
issued summons for trespassing while a group of 40 people, equipped
with bullhorns and noise-makers made their made into the Hynes
Convention Center chanting "You're the worst. Time to put the
people first! "

   [3]Once the group left the building they joined a crowd of 70 or
more from ADP, JWJ and SEIU. There the group heard powerful
testimonies from Diane McCloud who was foreclosed on despite never
missing a payment and Keya Alvarez, from the Alliance to Develop Power
(ADP), who told the crowd "They told us we are breaking the law by
trespassing but the banks have been breaking the law by foreclosing
without proper documentation."

  THIS WEEK'S ACTIONS IN BOSTON ARE THE PART OF A NATIONAL
CAMPAIGN TO HOLD BANKS ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE CORRUPT AND FRAUDULENT
PROCEDURES THEY USED TO FORECLOSE HOMES. Homeowners can demand that
their bank produce a mortgage note as proof that it owns the loan and
has the right to collect payment by visiting:

  http://showdowninamerica.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=766&qid=153388

--
Randy Stoecker

Professor
e-mail:  rstoecker at wisc.edu

Department of Community and Environmental Sociology
350 Agricultural Hall
1450 Linden Drive
Madison, Wisconsin
53706