[COMM-ORG] Passing of Shel Trapp

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 20 20:30:23 CDT 2010

  [ed: here is a more formal obituary.]

From: Gordon Mayer <gordon at npa-us.org>
October 20, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For more information contact NPA at 312-243-3035

COMMUNITY ORGANIZER SHEL TRAPP PASSES AWAY AT 75

Shel Trapp passed away at 2 p.m. Monday, October 18 after an illness
that had sent him to the hospital with pneumonia the week before. His
wife and children were with him when he died. He was 75.

Among the first organizers to successfully apply Alinsky-style tactics
of direct action and confronting people with power to elites and
decision makers at a national level, Trapp is widely credited with
quarterbacking community groups’ drive to pass the Community
Reinvestment Act in the 1970s and continuing that work through the
initial phases of organizing against subprime lending in the late 1990s.
As an author of manuals and trainer of organizers he’s credited with
motivating literally thousands to choose organizing as a career.

“You’d be hard pressed to find an organizer that more consistently
organized busloads of everyday Americans to powerfully confront the
nation’s corporate and political elite. Trapp challenged thousands of us
to push beyond our comfort zone and take risks in the name of justice.
We often call this being fearless, but Trapp taught us it is not about
being without fear, but actually having the guts to push beyond our fears..”

Born in rural Minnesota, all of Trapp’s hair dropped out from alopecia
areata around the age of 13. This early experience of injustice, and the
death of his father on a camping trip≤ sensitized him to injustice and
what he referred to in training sessions he led for literally thousands
of community organizers throughout his life as “the dignity of wounds.”

Trapp attended North Central College in Naperville, where he was known
as both a football player and a practical joker, and where he met his
wife Anne, the daughter of a Methodist bishop. After school, he
ministered to mostly German-American parishes on Chicago’s North Side.
In 1963 he was one of the first ministers to be arrested in Mississippi
in support of Civil Rights. He seemed poised to go further in the
Methodist hierarchy but felt something missing. In the mid-1960s Trapp
attended a seminar led by Tom Gaudette, who had been trained in
community organizing by Saul Alinsky, and found his calling.

Trapp went to work at Gaudette’s new project, the Organization for a
Better Austin, where blockbusting and racial-inspired panic peddling
quickly became the most important issues he worked on. There he honed
his direct-action technique – the 1971 Supreme Court case Organization
for a Better Austin vs. Keefe settled the legality of whether protesters
could picket in front of a real estate broker’s home. Also at OBA, Trapp
met Gale Cincotta, the West Side mother of six with whom he went on to
found the first citywide community organizing group in Chicago, the
Metropolitan Area Housing Alliance.

The two went on to foster the growth of a national coalition of
neighborhood groups called National People’s Action on Housing, the
predecessor of today’s NPA network of community organizing groups from
coast to coast.

The NPA attained its first national victory in 1975, winning legislation
that mandated disclosure of lending data from banks across the country.
Don Elmer, a board member of National People’s Action, recalled in 2008
the jolt that Trapp helped to deliver to community organizing with this
work: “The organizing field was shocked (One famous network said we
should wait 20 years until we had the capacity before we went national!)
and to tell the truth so were we.”

Using the data that thereby became available, Trapp and Cincotta’s band
of community organizations demonstrated the existence of redlining, in
which banks took deposits from older urban-core communities and lent the
money in the form of mortgages in other, often suburban, areas. That led
to passage of the Community Reinvestment Act, which generated billions
of dollars for neighborhoods across the country. The NPA coalition
continued to work on housing and banking issues as well as a
constellation of other community concerns throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

As organizer-in-chief to the network of groups across the country, Trapp
wrote numerous training manuals with titles such as “Who Me Organize?
Yes You!” and “Blessed Be the Fighters.” Organizers whom Trapp mentored
from this period recall that in addition to confronting power and
inciting grassroots groups to direct action, Trapp excelled at breaking
issues down to their simplest parts.

Among his proudest achievements was his work to help create ADAPT, the
national disability-rights organization, with whom he consulted from the
beginning of their work to free people from nursing homes through the
campaign to win accessible public transport and ultimately pass the
Americans with Disabilities Act.

At the age of 65 in September 2000 Trapp retired from his position as
organizing director, having mentored and helped to create or
strengthening hundreds of community organizations across the country. He
continued to be involved in organizing, serving on the board of NPA and
playing a key role in organizer-training sessions for the group. He led
sessions on how to negotiate with people in power and other topics as
recently as the end of August at the NPA Power School organizer training.

Organizers loved Trapp for his colorful language as well as his simple
and direct take on life, “My dad was blessed to do what he loved, and
what he was passionate about,” said his daughter, Kathy Dzielak. They
also recalled that his gruff demeanor belied a gentle soul. Anne-Marie
Douglas, who worked with Trapp and Cincotta for 30 years “He was a tough
guy, and still so gentle.”

He leaves behind his loving family, wife Anne, daughter Kathy, son
Rollie, son-in-law Dennis, daughter-in-law Becky and 4 beautiful
grandchildren, Chloe, Ben, Jake and Ellen, along with so many friends.
Please share your stories or comments with the family and the larger
community here: http://showdowninamerica.org/your-legacy-lives#comment-136

Donations may be sent to National People's Action, 810 N. Milwaukee
Ave., Chicago, IL 60642 (or made online at NPA's satellite website,
http://www.showdowninamerica.org).

A memorial is planned for early December in Chicago -- stay tuned for
details.

-30-

--
Gordon Mayer, operations director
National People's Action
810 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago, IL 60642
www.npa-us.org
312-676-2818 direct 312-307-0133 cell