[COMM-ORG] Call for a National Encuentro of The Other Campaign

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 20 08:04:51 CDT 2010

  From: Movement for Justice in El Barrio
<movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com>

Call for a National Encuentro of Organizations and Struggles of The
Other Campaign

By the Peoples’ Front in Defense of the Land and the Movement for
Justice in El Barrio

Atenco, México and New York, NY

To all the organizations, groups, collectives, families and individuals
in The Other Campaign:

To our Zapatista sisters and brothers:

The Peoples’ Front in Defense of the Land from San Salvador Atenco and
the Movement for Justice in El Barrio from New York join together to
call upon our sisters and brothers in The Other Campaign to converge at
the National Encuentro of Organizations and Struggles of The Other
Campaign that will be held Saturday, November, 13 and Sunday, November
14, 2010.

With each victory we felt a small gust of fresh air. It is the fresh air
that creeps through the cracks of concrete prison walls. Now, we
celebrate this gust of fresh air with our compañeros who have been freed
from political prison and we use the joy and energy it given us to break
more cracks into a system that imprisons other compañer at s and seeks to
imprison us all.

As we in The Other Campaign have grown stronger, reached further and
delved deeper, the reaction from the capitalist system and from the bad
government has been to crack down where our roots are deep and where our
resistance is fierce. From across the border in New York, Movement for
Justice in El Barrio felt strongly the chill and then the rage that rose
from the repression that swept the country during the first phase of the
Other Campaign. The dignified voice of the humble and simple people of
San Salvador Atenco and the Peoples’ Front in Defense of the Land rose
up clearly in a call for organized resistance and Movement for Justice
in El Barrio and many courageous individuals, families, organizations,
and collectives of good conscience heeded that call across the country
and across the world.

We have not and will not forget that in The Other Campaign: An injury to
one is an injury to all.

Through sharing our bonds are forged and through action they are
strengthened. The bad government and its agents seek to brutalize us and
to crush our spirit. But our movement grows stronger through the
struggle and the scars that settle to heal our wounds are only tougher
than ever before.

Power seeks to divide and marginalize us, as indigenous peoples, as
women, as gays and lesbians, as transgender people, as youth, as the
eldery, as farmworkers, as immigrants, as workers, as tenants… We must
resist division. We must seek to come together.

We hope to hold all of our differences up like flags and to walk
together to defend our lands, our cultures, our identities, our loves,
our autonomy.

Now more then ever, the dignified people who make The Other Campaign
what it is must come together everywhere and in everyway possible. Each
time we come together we challenge the system that attempts to keep us
divided.

As is our tradition, together we will smash a neoliberal piñata to
symbolize our fight for humanity against the neoliberal capitalist
system and bad government.

Please join the Peoples’ Front in Defense of the Land and the Movement
for Justice in El Barrio at the National Encuentro of Organizations and
Struggles of The Other Campaign to be celebrated in San Salvador Atenco
on Saturday and Sunday, November 13-14, 2010.

Please confirm your participation by sending an E-mail to:
movimientoporjusticiadelbarrio at yahoo.com

 From San Salvador Atenco and El Barrio, New York.