[COMM-ORG] Disaster Recovery Manual is available

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Fri Oct 15 19:51:16 CDT 2010

  From: "Berkowitz, William" <William_Berkowitz at uml.edu>

Dear Co-list Colleagues,

       ...For those of you who are involved in disaster work, or know
others who are, we are very pleased to announce a new free resource
manual called, How to Help Your Community Recover from Disaster: A
Manual for Planning and Action.

         The Manual can be found at:
http://www.scra27.org/resources/disasterresources/scra_manual_final5810pdf

We hope that you and your colleagues may find it useful in your own work.

         The development of this Manual began after Hurricane Katrina.
It was part of a large-scale, multi-year, and 20-member collaboration by
the Task Force on Disaster, Community Readiness within the Society for
Community Research and Action (SCRA; Division 27 of the American
Psychological Association). Fran Norris of Dartmouth Medical School and
Brad Olson of National Louis University have been the Co-Chairs.

         At its core, the Manual is designed to guide both lay and
professional readers through the steps required to understand the
potential effects of disaster, organize the community, assess its needs,
make an action plan, choose a strategy or strategies for intervention,
reach out to various constituencies, track results, and share lessons
learned.

         We believe this Manual provides practical guidance to natural
and potential community leaders about how to help their communities
recover from disaster. And we hope it will be a useful resource in
efforts to strengthen the capacity of communities to make informed
choices, marshal resources, and facilitate post-disaster recovery.

         We encourage you to use this Manual freely. Beyond that, our
goal is to make the Manual available to the widest possible audience; so
we would be very grateful for your help in sharing the Manual with those
who can most benefit from it.

         Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions
or would like additional information. Send any feedback or suggestions
to Brad Olson at bradley.olson at nl.edu

         With best wishes,

            ~~ Bill

                 Bill Berkowitz

                 for the Task Force on Disaster, Community Readiness,
and Recovery

Bill Berkowitz, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
University of Massachusetts Lowell