[COMM-ORG] Honoring Guy Carawan

Discussion list for COMM-ORG colist at comm-org.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 14 09:58:31 CDT 2010

  From: Peter Dreier <dreier at oxy.edu>

Friends and Colleagues:

I just posted “Honoring Guy Carawan” on Huffington Post as a tribute to
the legendary singer, folklorist, and activist whose arrangement of "We
Shall Overcome" became the anthem of the American civil rights movement.
.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-dreier/honoring-guy-carawan_b_761223.html

If you live in the Los Angeles area, Guy’s friends and fans will
celebrate Carawan at a "Singing for Justice" concert on Saturday,
October 23, 2:30-5 pm, at the home and garden of Jan Goodman & Jerry
Manpearl, 939 San Vicente Blvd., Santa Monica, CA (NW corner of Larkin).
Tickets are $35. To purchase tickets, go to this website:
www.highlandercenter.org.

Proceeds will go to the Highlander Center, the remarkable training
center in Tennessee for grassroots activists, including Rev. Martin
Luther King and Rosa Park. Guy has served as Highlander’s music director
for over 50 years.

You can learn more about the event, the Highlander Center, and Guy’s
fascinating life, in my article.

Peter

_______________________

Peter Dreier

E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics

Chair, Urban & Environmental Policy Program

Occidental College

1600 Campus Road

Los Angeles, CA 90041

Phone: (323) 259-2913

Website: http://employees.oxy.edu/dreier

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who in time of crisis
remain neutral" - Dante